BootsnAll Travel Network



Stinky Rotorua

Last night we went to a quiz night at a local pub and there was a quiz on famous faces–name them and split $150 with your team. Jim and I kicked butt and knew every person except 3 rugby sports guys, and then the British guy on our team somehow got the sports guys names and we were set….we had all of them! I was pumped. Then the announcer said only one team got them all right, and he said another team’s name!!! I was like, what??? How??? Then the British guy n our team said one of our rugby guy’s first names was wrong!!!!!!! I was so mad, we had it in the bag, and he screwed up. It was his responsibility!

Anyway, aside from losing $75…..

The next morning we started the drive to Rotorua, and I was excited to go to see thermal areas, eat Hangi food (Maori food cooked in the ground) and lie in mud and hot springs. And Jim is going to Zorb.

Before we got there, we stopped at Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland. It was really neat!! First we went to Lady Knox geyser, which erupts every day at 10:15. It was still going when we got there and was neat to see. My first geyser!
ladyknox.jpg
The geyser.

Then we drove to the mud pools, and they were awesome!! Just imagine what dozens of thick mud bubbles sound like. Ha ha. It was neat.

The rest of the park was great too. First of all, it all stinks so bad like eggs (sulfur). You walk around and see big craters with hissing steam coming out and water and mud bubbling in the bottom. There is tons of yellow, orange, green, and red colors everywhere because of the minerals. It was indescribable!! All sorts of weird formations and waterfalls and bodies of water and steam and stuff! Weird!

shadow.jpg
Us making shadows on a yellow sulfury crater.

slimer.jpg
I saw the most un-natural color I have ever seen in nature in this pool of water. It was like the color of the slime they always used on Nickelodeon. It looked un-real!

Pic: This is a shallow pool with steam and weird colors.

After that, we got to town and went to the hostel and Jim asked the lady if there was Grade V white water rafting here, and at that moment there was a guy there pciking up another person to go and do it! So Jim grabbed his swim trunks and he is there now.

See you later!



Tags:

3 responses to “Stinky Rotorua”

  1. tiff says:

    Hey Kelly,
    I sent you another e-mail to your yahoo account. Thank you for everything and I am praying for your dad. Take care and continue to have fun.

  2. Erin says:

    Hey Kelly!
    Sorry your quiz partner didn’t hold up his end of the bargain!! That sucks!! I just wanted to say I can’t wait for you to come back home!! Hope to see you in the next month or so.

  3. Kelly says:

    Hi Tiff, I am going to look at your essay right now. ANd thanks! 🙂

    Hey Erin! One of the things I’m most excited about is hanging out when I get back!!! Hope all is well and see you soon!