BootsnAll Travel Network



Enduring Whitsundays

So. Whitsundays. (Or “Wetsundays,” as Jim calls them…)

First of all, the Whitsundays are a group of islands, FYI. And every backpacker traveling up the east coast does the islands as well as Fraser Island, so we weren’t breaking any new ground.

Jim and I went to the pier at 3pm and there were tons of other young people standing around waiting to get on their boat, called Tongarra. Finally our group was called together and we walked down the dock and got on the boat, a catamaran. (Or “catamaring” as Jim calls them…)

All 23 or so of us are herded below deck to set down our bags, and the hallways is so narrow only one person can get thru at a time. The room is tiny and we all pile our stuff in there and throughout the trip, it is a major pain in the butt to go down there and try to get to your stuff. #1, because is it very hot and stuffy under the deck and you feel sick-ish, #2 because there are usually other people down there and you can’t get to your stuff because it is so narrow and #3 The boat is rocking and throwing you around a bit. (more sick-ish)

Pic: the hell-hole

Right away the captain, who looked like Sideshow Bob, told us that it was too windy to go to Whitehaven Beach, which is basically the most famous part of the Whitsundays and apparently one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. He said he tried to make it there a few days ago and 17 of 23 people on board got sick.

So that was a bummer. Anyway, we started to go and it was SO windy! The boat was rocking up and down and it was very difficult and dangerous to walk around deck. Also, we were all barefoot …and I don’t know what is with everyone else in the world… do you all have feet made of steel?? As far as I know, most people don’t walk around barefoot all the time, so why are my feet so much less tough that everyone else’s? Sheesh.

The captain also talked about a few of the places we might go, and mentioned we might stop at a resort for a shower.

WHITSUNDAYS TIP #1: Take a shower RIGHT BEFORE YOU GO BECAUSE YOU WON?T GET ANOTHER FOR DAYS!

I hadn?t taken a shower since the afternoon of the day before, and I debated whether to take one that morning, but I just assumed I?d take one the on the boat. Now they say there?s no showers! No one told us that! So here I was, already dirty, with a few old layers of bug repellent and sunscreen all over along with old sweat. I felt SO disgusting the whole trip that it actually hurt my enjoyment. I know everyone is thinking, ?Oh big deal, suck it up.? But NO, seriously, when I feel THAT gross, and that greasy and dirty, my skin feel nasty and makes ME feel nasty. So, honest to god, the thing that made the trip the worst was no showers! Even other people we mentioned after a day or two if we?d get to shower.

Anyway.

For what seemed like hours and hours, we all stumbled around the deck and sat around and most people got splashed at some point. A few of the girls felt sick but I don’t think anyone ralphed.

WHITSUNDAYS TIP #2: Bring seasickness medication.

(There are only 2 tips.)

The boat wasn’t small, but for 23 people it was pretty packed, I thought. They told us there was room under the deck for everyone to sleep, but I still don’t believe it. More on that later.

At one point, some people spotted some dolphins right by the front of the boat! I was jealous.

So it was really windy and rocky and there wasn’t much to do. We sailed for hours and finally got to a calm area and stopped for the night. Hmm, exciting first day, since we did… nothing.

whittan.jpg
90% of the trip was spent like this. Not my idea of an exciting time. I want action!

The cooker guy made a good dinner and everyone talked and ate and drank and they put up a huge tent/tarp thing on the deck and everyone started pulling their sleeping bags there to sleep on the desk. Jim and I rented bags and slept out there. I felt bad for people who didn’t prepare right away because there wasn’t room for everyone underneath.

As I laid there, I could feel myself getting bites. First, on my lower back, and then other places. I was getting a bit worried that it might be bedbugs or something. Finally I fell asleep and periodically the huge, loud gusts of wind would wake me up. At around 5 am, it started to rain and you could hear the people who were outside the tent scrambling around.

In the morning we started moving and it was fun to sit at the front of the deck and let your legs dangle and the boat felt like a roller coaster when it went up and down.

Finally we got somewhere to snorkel and everyone had to wear full-body “stinger suits” because of the jellyfish. Everyone went on a small boat to the beach. There was SO much coral and it KILLED my feet to walk there! No one else seemed to have problems.. what gives??? And I thought my feet were tougher after all these days of walking, etc.

After that we stopped at another place to snorkel. Jim said he saw an octopus while and got stung by a jellyfish! He said he felt a pain in his hand and he looked and there was a tiny jellyfish. It didn’t hurt him at all though. Makes you wonder if the jellyfish was stinging him the whole time all over his body and he just couldn’t feel it because of the stinger suit.

There is also an enormous fish named Elvis that is always there and we saw him, too.

All-in-all, Jim said it was as good as the snorkeling in Thailand.

Then, after that, we sailed to a big sand bar and walked around for a while. The only interesting thing was tons and tons of pieces of coral and shells everywhere. There were some beautiful pieces. It reminded me of when I was a kid I used to collect rocks and shells. I never thought I would see the same shells in their natural environment!

whit1.jpg
Beautiful sun set on the sand bar

Pic: The sand island (there were a few rocks) and one single tree out in the middle of nowhere!

After that we went to sleep.

Next day, we headed for the resort and I was SO excited to be able to shower. You don’t even understand. So I showered and then we hung out in the hot tub. A few girls took a trek to the top of the hill where there is supposed to be a good view of the Whitsundays. Since all I had was flip-flops, I didn’t think a trek would be a good idea.

I had ice cream and we got back on the boat. I don’t remember if we did more but I think we just head back to Airlie Beach.

When I got back on the boat after the resort and shower, I felt SO good; the best I’d felt the whole trip. It was only then that I wasn’t praying for it to be over. We saw some tiny silver fish at the side of the boat and some huge fish that looked like um…what are they called?  shoot, I can?t remember. But really flat and yellow and silver and black (see photo taken from boat).

angelfish.jpg

The sail back was really nice. Not very wavy. The colors of the water are just amazing, like no colors you see anywhere else. If I stared at the water long enough, the repetitive waves made it look like it wasn’t free flowing, but like a thin layer of water running over rocks or bumpy ground. It was cool.

So we got back and the next day took the super long 10-hour ride straight to Cairns, our last stop in Australia!! Can you believe it! That also means it is cheesy souvenir time!



Tags:

2 responses to “Enduring Whitsundays”

  1. Claire says:

    I loved all of your pictures, especially of “Where is Waldo?” and “Kelly being blown off the rock.” After carefully screening the picture, I suddenly spied “Waldo”, I gasped, and laughed at the cleverly staged photo; it reminded me of Kelly’s unique humor. It made my day.

  2. Kelly says:

    Ha ha, I just thought it would be more interesting than another boring picture with me standing in it. I’m glad you liked them!!