BootsnAll Travel Network



Get that monkey off my back!

Actually, it was a bird.  A parrot, to be a bit more exact, and he was bound and determined to ride along on Jill’s shoulder while eating her clothes away; the Birds of Eden aviary has never been so exciting. Which is not so surprising, as it’s only been open for 3 months – a brand new, beautifully landscaped bird refuge so enormous in scope that you forget entirely that it’s all enclosed.

 That was stop #2 today; well, actually #3, but since the first stop was to scope out tomorrow’s potential highlight, it hardly counts. (the excitement builds…) Stop #1 (or #2, whatever) was an absolute hit: Monkeyland. And no, David – it’s not just a clever name. Mission accomplished: we lucked out on the lemurs! They even sang for us, and we convinced Kevin that if we had lemur ears, it would sound like “I like to move it move it…” We actually even saw 2 types of native Madagascar lemurs, in addition to gibbons, vervet monkeys, squirrel… oh, look at the sightings list. In parts of the park, everything seemed to be in constant movement there were so many monkeys around. And we walked the world’s longest foot suspension bridge. This was maybe the best-spent 100 rand/person yet!

On the way back form Monkeyland/Birds of Eden, we stopped along the roadside and picked up two new African passengers, one from Zimbabwe, I didn’t quite get where the other was from. In fact, these guys will be accompanying us to the far corners of the globe: one returning via Frankfurt to Goldendale, the other via Paris to Boeblingen. Can’t wait for you all to meet them!

We made a short stop at the beach and built sand creatures this afternoon (Jill a great leopard tortoise replica, Kevin a handsome spider) and are now headed to dinner and our obligatory bottle of local wine. The “Tastes of South Africa” category coming soon… 🙂



Tags:

One response to “Get that monkey off my back!”

  1. Markus

    It was quite useful reading, found some interesting details about this topic. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *