BootsnAll Travel Network



Ste Teresa / Playa Carmen / Montezuma

Ste Teresa is listed by “Travellers Choice 2011” as the #10 most beautiful beach in the world. Standing at the foot of it, I can see how this not quite yet discovered, and still somewhat uninhabited surfers beach community can lay claim to this statement.
Coming from a very remote area as Playa Guiones (which had no street lamps) Sta Teresa, with its one sole street going through town, appears like a city in comparison. Supermercados, hostels, smoothy bars, taco restaurants (with prize winning papas fritas), surf shops, all line the one long stretch of gravel road that blends from playa carmen into ste teresa. the waves are strong and powerful, and absolutely not suited for a beginner. Taking Geri and Kayla there for they’re introduction into the surfing world, i soon realize, is not the best idea. Myself, thinking im a better surfer than I am, paddle out past the break, and swiftly get a reality check from the fiercely pissed off ocean, when the first wave i try for, knocks me down, and holds me under for several seconds longer than im comfortable with. gasping for air when i come up, i realize i have no business being out there. so with a possibly broken baby toe, and a rapidly spreading purple bruise on my arm, i decide to stick to the white wash.
The 3 of us are in for a surprise when we arrive in MOntezuma several days later. We’ve booked ourselves into a yoga retreat center (pseudo hotel) for a night in the jungle hilltops of montezuma. the views are spectacular from the highest point of montezuma. There is an infinity pool filled with apple cider vinegar and sea salt, our room has floor to ceiling windows facing the wild jungle, and an outdoor shower with howler monkeys swinging just feet away. We come to learn that we’re actually there the same night as the annual yoga festival party. Looking at 11 yr old Kayla, the owner tells us “”we dont condone pot smoking, or nudity necessarily, but I cant promise what may or may not happen at the party tonight….”” a party which starts at 5pm, and goes well past dawn… loudly, outside our bungalow door. me and geri, feeling old, toss back a few margharittas, and once the glow sticks come out, and rave music starts pumping, we head in to bed with our ear plugs, to try and awaken fresh and early for our zip lining excursion the next day. ”



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *