BootsnAll Travel Network



Playa Hermosa

Nicaragua…..despite the fact that half the population lives below the poverty line… the people of this country radiate happiness, goodness and an incredibly cheerful spirit. Its a culture with strong traditions and festive religious celebrations.

Although Nicaragua and Costa Rica border one another…..they are two countries very unique and distinct in theyre own right, and with theyre own special character. relations between the two have remained strained over the years (perhaps they’re long history of border disputes over an area near the San Juan river, contribute to the tension between the people of the two countries).

Locals keep they’re doors wide open, while sitting on the porch, enjoying easy conversation with they’re neighbours. Instead of building movie theatres, they’ll set up a film projector on the side wall of a church, the community gathering around to watch a movie. The country has not yet been infiltrated by expats, and finding store owners who speak English is uncommon. What is common, is they’re hospitality, Ive on numerous occcasions been told “Welcome to nicaragua chica”.

Sitting in the front seat of a dilapitated taxi today, my board secured to the roof, I head for Playa Remanso, a spot 3 miles south of San Juan Del Sur, its a small cove with white sands, tidepools, and mild surf conditions… perfect for a beginner. Upon arrival, we see there is barely a swell rolling in. The taxi driver, who sees the dissapointment etched on my face, and whom Id befriended through my best efforts in broken spanish, suggests taking me to Playa Hermosa, no extra charge, he insists.

Playa Hermosa…. standing at the foot of the beach, with my board in hand, Im speechless. The only other soul in sight, is the security guard lounging on the hammock. The ocean is endless, with two large bolders bulging out in the distance. Mountains on either side, with no sign of any infrastructure to be found. The ocean is calm, the waves gentle… The taxi driver insists I take my time, and he will wait, again, no extra charge. I realize there actually wouldnt be any other option to get out of there, even if i did have a cell phone, im quite sure id get no reception.

I paddle out into the endless abyss of ocean, enjoying the surf, all to myself. Getting back in the taxi after my session, the driver hands me some bananas “tu hambre”?…. what a friendly culture



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *