BootsnAll Travel Network



Monteverde

Monteverde, elevation of approx 1400m above sea level, is home to an ecosystem of over 100 species of mammals, 400 species of birds, 1200 species of amphibeans and reptiles, and over 2500 varieties of plants (420 varieties of orchids alone). Its climate is one thats constantly cloaked in mist and a hazy fog that sits above the canopy (90% of organisms in a rainforest are found in the canopy).
The downpour of rain lets up just as we arrive for our SkyWalk hike. 2.5km of trails through the rainforest, along with the crossing of 6 suspension bridges, provides for breathtaking panoramic views above the canopy.
At 6pm, dusk turns to nightfall, and the rainforest is beginning to awaken… nocturnal creatures emerge, in search of food. Its time for our night hike. Flashlight in hand, and a chatty naturalist guide leading our way, we enter into the pitch darkness of the rainforest. Within 5 minutes into our walk, the guide points out a tarantula, Im arms distance away from my biggest phobia. I nearly drop my flashlight and sprint at breakneck speed back to the car. That is one large tarantula in front of me (about 3 inches in diameter), very furry, and black and orange colored. They arent deadly, but they do have hairs on they’re stomach that have sharp little barbs on them, and when threatened, the tarantula will rub these hairs with they’re legs and shoot them at they’re predator…ouch!
Continuing on, we come upon a flurry of bats (there are over 110 different species of bats in Costa Rica)… but they’re so quick, its virtually impossible to even catch a glimpse of them. We’re also fortunate enough to see an owl, various species of frogs, numerous insects, beetles, crickets, sloths, sleeping birds, scorpions, and butterflies, among many others. Exploring the calm beauty and tranquility of the rainforest after dark is a unique experience . The sounds are so magnified, and the sights entirely different than those which are seen during daylight hours.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *