BootsnAll Travel Network



La Fortuna / Volcan Arenal

Looming magestically at 1633 meters, Volcan Arenal is known as one of the worlds ten most active volcanoes. We’re lucky enough to be there on a day where the peak isnt obscured by cloud, as is generally the case, due to the regional climate.
Trail map in hand, we set off to explore the lava fields that surround the base of the volcano. Stumbling over the jagged lava rocks in my poor choice of footwear, flip flops, trying to scale beyond the “Danger – Active Volcano – Do Not Cross” sign (an attempt to get a really great photo)…. Im picturing how vicious and superheated this lava was at one point, erupting in 1968, it spread hot rocks and toxic gas over 12km, killing 87 people. There are now several homes, hotels, and businesses situated near the base of the volcano…. arent the inhabitants afraid of history repeating itself…..?

3 hours of hiking has left us excited for the soothing comfort of a hot spring.
A grocery store clerk in Monteverde had told us about a “secret entrance” used by locals for getting into the ‘real’ hot springs, where you can not only experience it in its most authentic and unspoiled form, but you also avoid the $30-$70 entrance fees that all the resorts charge for access.
The steam rising from the hot springs is visible from miles down the road. Taking the “secret path” we soon drop into an endless oasis of pools of waterfalls, powerfully cascading down the mountain …. The water temperature is so hot that my fingers and toes are shriveled into prunes within minutes.

I read something the other day which I believe truly captures how unique this area is…..” The four elements of nature are very prevalant here at Volcan Arenal. 1) The heat (fire) of the volcano 2) The flowing (water) of the hot springs 3) The pure, clean (air) of the lush rainforest 4) The fertile (earth) of the Fortuna de San Carlos Region”……looks like Mother Earth has created a special place where there is perfect balance and cohesion in the cycle of nature



Tags: ,

One response to “La Fortuna / Volcan Arenal”

  1. Mr WordPress says:

    Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in and view the post's comments. There you will have the option to edit or delete them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *