BootsnAll Travel Network



Yes, They are Still Here!

We all knew the in-laws would (literally) still be here. My mother has been suffering since shortly after she arrived: diarrhea, vomiting, sun burns, bug bites, and even a blister on her foot from her new flip-flops. To top it all off, (and the reason for our blog title) is that we even had a family blow out. My Mom is a pleaser by nature. She avoids confrontations like the plague, so family fights are even more unpleasant for her. I guess a fight is to be expected when we were all living in a 2 bedroom apartment and spending every waking moment together. Luckily it seemed to blow over fairly fast and we’re all back in vacation mode. The sun burns, bug bites and blisters still persist, however.

We still had a great time at the coast. Our apartment was so close to the beach and we went swimming in the ocean almost every morning, while my Mom played with the kids in the sand. There were several swimming pools at the place we stayed and we went swimming every evening (after the sun went down as to not aggravate my mother’s sunburns). You really can’t complain about 8 lazy days on the beach.

After 8 days at Playa Hermosa we headed back to Alajuela. We rented this apartment in a sort of hotel/gated community/complex sort of thing. We’re not exactly in the middle of Costa Rican life. Actually the heart of Costa Rican life is playing outside the big 15 foot gate that surrounds the facility. However, for us, right now, it serves our purpose – to spend time with our family. We have a soccer field, a small playground, swimming pools and secure parking. We can cook, do laundry and watch TV while lying on the sofa. Honestly, Matthias and I have both missed being in a place where you can just lie on a sofa and watch TV.

We are a half-German, half-American family and we also have to alter our regular Christmas routines of childhood to accommodate both of us. That works out great for William and Julian because they get to celebrate both. The “Christkind” comes on the evening of the 24th and Santa comes on the morning of the 25th. Each of those guys brings presents. For the first time my parents will be a part of the German half of our celebrations.

We’ve also had our 3rd official visit to the hospital in Costa Rica. Julian fractured a bone in his foot and is not supposed to walk for the next 2 weeks. None of us saw what happened, but he just started crying and was obviously in pain on Saturday morning. After his foot started to swell and turn purple we took him to the hospital. They immobilized his foot and he is not supposed to walk for 2 weeks. I’m not sure that is even possible for a 2 year old. At least for now his foot hurts enough so he doesn’t want to walk. We will be doing a lot of carrying in the next 2 weeks.

Matthias has had a nasty ear infection that weren’t cured by two courses of antibiotics. We went back to the doctor that removed William’s stitches and he prescribed 3 shots in the ass, an infusion of who knows what, drops in his ears, and 2 different pills he is supposed to take a different intervals. The good thing is that this aggressive course of action has knocked out all pain in his body and his ear infection seems to be cleared up. Keep your fingers crossed that the six of us survive this Christmas.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *