BootsnAll Travel Network



7 years on

I just ran across this old blog of mine. Looks like my last entry was from sometime back in 2009 or so. My how things have changed in the last 7 years. I took that trip to SE Asia back in September of ’09. It ended up taking me back to Thailand and on to a few new places. I spent about a month in Cambodia, mostly Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. One major highlight was going to see the ruins of Angkor, which was the seat of the Khmer kingdom from the 9th to the 15th centuries. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience to say the least and something I will never forget. My travels also took me to Vietnam, a place I’ve always had an itch for and a place that really left me longing to go back. I stayed in Ho Chi Minh (formerly Saigon) and toured the Mekong Delta region for roughly two weeks. I was traveling with an English bloke I met back in Thailand and we had a hell of a time exploring HCM city. One of our excursions was to go see the Cu Chi tunnels, which during the war were a major network of underground tunnels all over northwestern Saigon that aided in securing victory for the Viet Cong in the war with the United States. We rode two-up on a motorbike thinking it was only going to take a short time to get there and later found out it was much much farther away. We had some really sore asses after that trip and it makes me think twice whenever I look at a map to check distances from now on.

After returning from Vietnam and Cambodia I decided to check out a city in Northern Thailand named Chiang Mai. It turned out to be just the kind of place I was looking for so I decided to spend a few months there soaking up the culture and studying a bit of Thai language and Muay Thai (Thai boxing). I really enjoyed my stay up there as the weather is more like I’m use to back here in the west, cool in the evenings and not too hot during the days, and it’s nestled up in the mountains so you get some great scenery and some fun twisty roads to traverse on the motorbike. As luck would have it I ended up meeting some good friends as well. Two of them, a Dane and a German, I still keep in touch with to this day!

Now here is where the story starts to get interesting. This whole time since 2007 I’ve had a girlfriend. I met her here in Los Angeles after returning from my first trip abroad back in 2006. She is from Thailand and with me having spent a lot of time over there, naturally we hit it off pretty good. So good in fact that we now have two lovely children together, a six year old daughter named Miranda and a 9 month old son named Aspen. I’ve often thought that some day I would like to have children but always much later in life. Perhaps things happen for a reason, perhaps not, but they are the light of my life. Before kids I think I was like most people, very self-centered and probably a little lost in life. I didn’t really have a sense of direction or know what I wanted out of life. Not to say that they gave me the answers I was looking for, but having children kind of takes the focus off of yourself and gives you a really good reason to want to be here. I still long to travel but now hope that they are involved in my future adventures. Some of my best days are spent just being with them and going for a family walk in the park or hanging out together at home. Kids really do change your life in more ways than one.

That pretty much sums up my life in the past seven years. Things have happened – for the better – that I really wasn’t prepared for at the time and I’ve just made the best of it. That’s about all you can do in life, just make the best of it!



Tags: , , , , , , , ,

67 responses to “7 years on”

  1. ez tévedés, windowson is lehet ezer féle gui-d, csak épp egy kicsit másképp.amit alapbol hasznalasz, az az explorer.exe (ez fejbol megnem mondom hl van, de egy ilyen sorba van tarolva shell=explorer.exe)namarmost, perverzeknek, a shell lehet cmd.exe, vagy akar a tc is.de vannak netrol letölthetoek is, (s?t, asszme a KDE-bol is lesz wines verzio) fizetosek stb.

  2. Very disappointed. Progressive Management wants you to think this is something published by the U.S. Government. My suggestion, save your money and use Google and the U.S. Government web sites and do your own research. The content on this DVD is pretty much worthless and not user friendly. It even links you to pages no longer available on the internet.

  3. scrive:It’s in point of fact a nice and useful piece of information. I am happy that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

  4. Interesting reading, very nice images. I would love to give this a try but here where I stay it is a bit too dangerous out there at night. Maybe I should look for a photo buddy to take with me, safety in numbers and all that.

  5. kredit faq says:

    Check that off the list of things I was confused about.

  6. wartawan : kata-kata awk kepada PEMINAT2 yg terguris di luar sana dengan pemakaian anda yang tersebar melata-lata..lanaT : owh.. saya minta maaf kerana tak perasan sensitiviti masyarakat di sini.maafkan saya.. saya manusia biasa.. sob..sob.. terima kasih pada yg amik berat..TAPIIIIIII !!!!dia ni ada ke PEMINATTTTTT ??????????? hahahahahaha

  7. I can’t hear anything over the sound of how awesome this article is.

  8. A proposito di disinformazione RAI mi pare il caso di menzionare i dati sullo Tsunami nell’Oceano Indiano.Telegiornale un paio di giorni dopo l’evento:”Dopo il terremoto l’isola di Sumatra si è spostata di trenta chilometri”.Telegiornale del giorno successivo:”Dopo il terremoto l’isola di Sumatra si è spostata di trenta metri”.Telegiornale di due giorni dopo:”Dopo il terremoto l’isola di Sumatra si è spostata di trenta centimetri”.

  9. TEXTp is very interesting. it makes you see a video in a whole different way, and it's fun! About the new layout, I don't hate it, but I think removing the 5 stars option was a mistake. I mean, there is a lot more than liking a video or not. Maybe someone can kind of like it, or maybe they totally love it, but now you can't tell that.So please, PLEASE consider putting 5 stars ratings back 🙂

  10. Muslims (and members of any other faith) can rest assured that Hindu gods and goddesses are not invoked during the practice of yoga. There's no bowing, either. The word 'namaste' is a greeting.The only words you might utter are expletives when Serge works you very hard!

  11. Working When You Attend College Classes!Computer Science DegreesImproving Time Management SkillsLearn Spanish Online Compared to Traditional Classroom Sessions – How To Speak Spanish ul.legalfooter li{ list-style:none; float:left; padding-right:20px; } .accept{ display:none;

  12. Trailer looks sweet, every AC trailer does…but I dunno how these games are still getting released and a have a fan following..Boring storyline, Glitchy gameplay. The whole thing just feels broken, I’m going back to Angry Birds.

  13. Re: Home router emergency override.Is there such an emergency override system on cell towers? Surely that would make more sense first.Not only that, shouldn't emergency services be able to declare a regional crisis, and not only let their own data and phone systems leapfrog any carrier's network, it should also allow civilian cell phones to use any carrier's towers in the affected region. Survivors being able to call for help, not a small thing.

  14. comentou em 21 de novembro de 2011 às 15:46. ClauDepende, o Free Shop não tem tudo que tem na loja. Melhor pedir num site e mandar entregar na casa dela.Bjs

  15. Carol, I think the time for a signal swap has come and gone. Station values have plummeted anywhere from 40 to 80% since 2007. I am not an expert on station values in NYC proper, but in general a full-marlet Class B FM in a top ten market is probably worth $30-40mil outright these days; a swap probably wouldn’t net Pacifica more than $5-15mil in cash. Those are ballpark figures of course, and probably a little generous.But either way, that’s not enough to distribute any meaningful dollar amounts amongst the system.

  16. Ironically enough, in this statement Dershowitz adopts the very same stance of rejecting the others and focusing on the other that he criticizes Israel’s dissenters of, only in the reverse.Then again, the Zionists were never known for any sort of moral consistency.

  17. Using your talent regarding writing intriguing articles I saw you actually in a main classifieds, any journalist or maybe media reporter. Actually, the particular awesome technique you can choose the words to go into detail with the problem.

  18. As Doug points out in his thesis, it may be possible that rick allen is holding onto a hope, just not one of Salvation, but of condemnation. It's always warm/fuzzy to imagine one's enemies "getting theirs" in Hell, or whatever. Yet, simple enlightened self-interest tells us that, if they are to be judged, so will I, and none of us will be in Paradise this, or any other, day.

  19. Jenn McBride – My husband and I are in the process of adopting a baby girl from Haiti. We have been to Haiti three times and have held our precious girl. Our adoption costs are adding up as we travel back and forth to Haiti…as well our homestudy expires…we’ve been waiting 2 1/2 years to this point…so we will have to update our homestudy.We would love more information about your fundraiser.We are praying our sweet girl home.Blessings,Cory and Jenn McBrideSeptember 5, 2012 – 8:40 pm

  20. Ну нарешті фільм вийде. А то все вже скидалось на якийсь міф. Фільм вже і готовий – а ніде його нема – ні на ДВД, ні в кіно.

  21. hello!,I like your writing so so much! proportion we keep up a correspondence extra approximately your article on AOL? I require a specialist on this area to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking forward to see you.

  22. Yes, I would be interested in reading your Kandeeland blog if you decided to start it up again! Your energy is so much fun and positive and I think it would be an inspiration to a lot of people as well as a lovely way to document memories for yourself! :)Liesl 🙂

  23. I don’t know whether it is just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering issues together with your website. It appears like some with the written text inside your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please give feedback and let me know if this really is happening to them too? This might be a issue with my browser because I’ve had this happen previously. Thank you

  24. If you want to get read, this is how you should write.

  25. ¡¡¡No puede ser más perfecta tu definición de estos "machitos", Rafa!!!No hay nada que añadir, ni punto, ni coma..Y si hablamos además de estos dos especímenes que encajan a la perfección…Sólo queda decirte: CHAPEAU!.. Y besos, muchos!

  26. Version 4.27 did not have a Wizard. You should be using the latest version 7.098Anyway, it seems that you forgot to provide all permissions to /comersus/database folderUsually is a simple web control panel task. You can find the instructions in the users guide.[]

  27. Ist jetzt schon bekannt ob immer eine Figur da ist ? oder hat die nachdem sie von jemanden gefunden wurde eine ewig lange Respawnzeit ?

  28. That’s a nicely made answer to a challenging question

  29. Je pense qu'accueillir le mondial relève plutôt du masochisme!Moi qui suis parfois prof de sciences dans le secondaire, j'utilise ton blog pour déconner avec la science, je crois que tu as suscité quelques vocations… dans la bd!Encore merci pour tout Marion (et bisous à mon chewi grâce à qui je t'ai découverte)

  30. This was so helpful and easy! Do you have any articles on rehab?

  31. Scrivi il tuo commento Puoi usare questi tags HTML : <a> <abbr> <acronym> <b> <blockquote> <cite> <code> <del> <em> <i> <q> <strike> <strong> var RecaptchaOptions = { theme : ‘white’, lang : ‘en’ , tabindex : 5 };   #submit {display:none;}

  32. syndestel,Zionism is not a non-Jewish movement. It is a Jewish movement. It has non-Jewish supporters. The intellectual artifice of the lobby is powered and spear-headed by mainstream Jewish intellectuals, professionals, etc.So it’s very accurate. You can muddy the water all you like but no one has patience for that bullshit (which you masquerade as ‘lefty hippy’ whatever).

  33. A wonderful job. Super helpful information.

  34. I impressed, I must say. Truly hardly ever do I encounter a blog that each educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you’ve got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the difficulty is something that not enough men and women are talking intelligently about. I am quite glad that I stumbled across this in my search for something regarding this.

  35. That’s a smart answer to a difficult question.

  36. levitra says:

    I simply want to say I am just new to blogging and site-building and definitely savored this web site. Almost certainly I’m planning to bookmark your blog post . You absolutely come with tremendous writings. Kudos for revealing your blog site.

  37. Apa la sikap manusia sekarang… setakat marah anak sikit2 sudah la… itupun kerana kesalahan untuk mendidik. Tak kira apa bangsa ka, agama ka ,…perkara ini cukup kejam bagi seorang kanak2… semoga kanak2 itu sembuh dan hidup seperti sediakala (dalam keadaan yang lebih baik)…

  38. Wow, that was incredible!! Its hard for me to imagine the thought put into that writing! Im not a good writer and I can see that your quite the opposite!! Well Done!!Thanks for answering mine too!!

  39. When you think about it, that’s got to be the right answer.

  40. In the complicated world we live in, it’s good to find simple solutions.

  41. Great set of photos here Ray! I hear Boston is pretty hot and humid right now so I can see why they are all enjoying themselves

  42. I’m not easily impressed. . . but that’s impressing me! 🙂

  43. Muchas gra­cias por com­par­tir. el spa­nis­hAl­go­rith­mic. Lo he usado y seguro que lo seguiré usando. Gra­cias a gente como tú los no-expertos lo tene­mos un poco menos difí­cil.Un saludo.

  44. Pix:Hyvä Pix!Olen superiloinen että Kemppari on voinut olla avuksi :)Leena:Olen itsekin miettinyt paljon tuota jätkien kännykän sijoittamista taskuun. Ahdistavaa.Kiitos Aleksi ja Olli 😀

  45. Wednesday, August 29, 2012 Luly,Your website looks great! Your business concept is also wonderful. Congratulations. You are definitely my role model when it comes to moving forward with your business goals. You really go for it with no excuses. Keep inspiring.

Leave a Reply