We find ourselves in Otavalo, Ecuador, home to South America´s largest outdoor market. I should have anticipated this would be trouble.
1. Markets are a lot of fun. I actually hyperventilated a little when I saw it.
2. Bargaining makes me feel good. It doesn´t matter if I only save $1 on a $30 item- the thrill of winning is pretty fine.
3. Avoid the hammock and table cloth people at all costs. And it´s a good idea to learn how to say – ¨I don´t even have a house, let alone a table¨, in Spanish.
4. Think of a good story for crossing the Canadian border. It´s quite possible that Canada Customs will assume I am in the alpaca importing business.
5. When you can no longer carry what you´re buying, you should probably stop. Dumping your stuff at the hotel and going back can be an expensive idea.
Tags: Ecuador, Lessons Learned, Travel