BootsnAll Travel Network



St. Paddy’s Day in Seoul

Even the Koreans are Irish on St. Paddy’s Day. Loads of people were dressed up in green and drinking green beer. We went to Gecko’s Tavern in Iteawon, a expats haven, to celebrate St. Paddy’s day. They had a “special” on Guiness only $6.50 for a pint, it’s normally $8. I can’t believe how expensive imports are here. A local draft is only $2.50. Although, Itaewon isn’t really Korea because of all the foreigners there, it was nice to be able to speak English again and be understood. I shot some of the worst games of pool in my life. Dunno what was going on, but I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Then I went to the 7 Lucky Casino and played some Black Jack. My goal was to double up my last 100,000 Korean Won so I wouldn’t have to hit the ATM again. I topped out at W260,000, but my bid to win 5 double ups (W320,000) in a row came to an abrupt end and I walked out with W200,000. So I blew it on a nice steak dinner. I went to the Korean War Memorial today, but I fogot my camera so I didn’t get any pics to post. It was a great museum. Inside they had stuff on all the wars Korea has been in, but it mostly focused on the Korean War (duh). Outside they had helicopters, tanks, jets, artillery… My favorites were the Sabre jet and the B52.

All the days are starting to blur together. C’s friend Debbie came on Saturday and has been wandering around with us. She’s been to Seoul before so has seen a bunch of the major sights already. We’re back to backpacking. We moved out of the Intercontinental Hotel on Sunday and found a nice place in the middle of town near all the Palaces and markets. I dunno what happened to me though. Almost immediately after we left the Intercontinental, I got severe stomach cramps and got really sick after I ate a bag of “potato chips”. The only thing I can figure is that they were made with Olestra. I finished walking around Cheungbok Gung Palace, but went straight back to the room and layed down. I was doubled over in pain for hours, but then later that night, I was fine. It was a bit scary for awhile, but I think it’s over now.

We decided to get out of town the next day and head down to Suwon to see a really kewl old fortress. Hwaseong Fortress was built in 1794. It was the most modern at the time incorporating traditional Chinese fortress structures in addition to more modern defensive additions. It’s the first time I’ve seen a semi-circular wall built around the main gates forcing any enemy attackers to change direction and funnel into a small channel kill zone with nearly 360 degree wall of archer defensive positions before they could attack the gates. Hwaseong FortressAn ingeneous defensive addition, I must say.

I’m getting tired. I spent the whole day at the DMZ and Panmunjam, but that’s a story for another day. G’night



Tags:

2 responses to “St. Paddy’s Day in Seoul”

  1. Simon says:

    Ray,

    I’m not sure if you rec’d my last msg. I believe your condition was caused by water or liquid. I don’t believe the chips did you in.

    Keep up the pointing and heavy gesturing. I hear it helps to speak Engrish really slow so they can understand what you are saying….

  2. admin says:

    Dunno what it was, but thank god it passed. I only drink bottled water and cokes. I even brush my teeth with bottled water, so I don’t know what it was.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *