BootsnAll Travel Network



The Founding of Japan?

Monday February, 11

Today is National Foundation Day, a national holiday that was re-introduced in 1966 after going through a series of ups and downs over the course of Japanese history.  The day is supposedly dates back to the crowning of Japan’s first official emperor, Jimmu; an event and person which historians still debate having ever existed.  The holiday also became influential during the Meiji Restoration, and was used to bolster Japanese nationalism in Japan’s aggressive colonial period.  Understandably, the holiday was sidelined after the war until the modest version observed today was agreed upon forty years ago.  It seems to me it can be described as somewhere between the USA’s Memorial Day and Flag Day.  It is a low key affair compared to its history as a major festival.

I’ve asked several people what this day means to them and the answers vary.  Naito Sensei, a teacher at my school told me he reflects on the state of his homeland, but he thinks most people view it as just another three day weekend.  My girlfriend responded to my questions about the day with a puzzled stare.

“Ken koku kinen no hi…desu ka?” she said.  “Nani sore?  (What’s that?)”  I like to think her ignorance on the subject is a result of her sporadic nursing schedule and not having normal statewide holidays, but I have a feeling that most young people would respond similarly.  And who’s to blame them?

My first reaction to this holiday, National Foundation Day, was also one of puzzlement.  I mean when could Japan really claim to be founded?  There exist a handful of countries that are basically as old as time, that gradually grew into countries as the concept came to exist.  Greece, England, China, and Japan among others all share a legacy of power and sovereignty unique to most of the world.  Japan is an even rarer case in that it has maintained a territorial and ethnic solidarity unlike any other country on Earth.  England’s always been England, China always China; but the Scots, Irish, Tibetans and Uighurs would like to change these facts perhaps.  This isn’t the case in Japan.

The former colonies of the world shoot off fireworks and shake an angry fist or two at their former rulers, while Japan quietly enjoys a day off, recognizing that it is still the island nation it’s always been.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *