BootsnAll Travel Network



Old timer and the Flying Tigers

Kunming is a very walkable and bus friendly city, if you can crowd your way onto the bus. Somewhere in China’s brilliant 4,000 year old history, they forgot to invent the orderly line. Push or walk seems to be the mantra of the street.

At midday I was sitting in the city center plaza when an old Chinese codger introduced himself in decent English. He then proceeded with those infamous lines: “Back in 1944.” “Oh great,” I thought. My grandfather has somehow incarnated himself into this 78 year old Chinese man from around the globe. I listened patiently as he described the remarkable history of his city.

Kunming was never occupied by the Japanese. Yunnan was one of a handful of Chinese provinces to escape Japan’s imperial reach. It was, however, bombed heavily until the 23rd fighter group of the U.S. Flying Tigers 101st airborne were called away from the Burmese-Indian arena to aid the struggling Chinese. It was so interesting to listen to Jou’s stories about this region which is largely forgotten in the war history chronicles.

We soon took to the streets, slowly mind you, and Jou showed me all the historic buildings and markets around central Kunming. Everything is for sale in China. Birds of every variety, beetles on every corner (apparently they cure cancer when added to alcohol for a couple weeks), and dogs (some for pets, some not so lucky). All he asked for in return was some kind of foreign currency, he being a collector. Having just come from Cambodia, I still had 1,100 riel in my wallet which he was thrilled to liberate from me. What a great guy and interesting day. I had a personal tour of Kunming, and all for about 25.5 cents!

Next stop Lijiang to the north.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *