BootsnAll Travel Network



Security Alert!

15 October 2005 (Saturday) – Chiclayo, Peru

I took a colectivo to Sipan, the site of the actual tomb of Lord of Sipan, called Huaca Rajada. All the good stuff are found in the Museo Tumbas Reales in Lambayeque as I had mentioned, but for want of something to do, I headed out here to have a look at the site where the impressive artefacts were found.

I must say, I had expected just holes, but I was impressed to find that the authorities put dummies in the tombs as replicas of how the Lord and his sacrificed servants and guards were found. When I saw the representation, yes… all memories of the wonderful museum displays came flooding back.

The recreated burial tomb of Lord of Sipan

Loads of ceramic pots found buried

Pyramids around Huaca Rajada

Back in Chiclayo by early afternoon, I spent the rest of the day wandering around. Chiclayo seems to be always having parades and processions. 2.5 years ago, I remembered they had an elaborate procession on Sundays, and apparently, they did it every Sunday. Yesterday, I had seen 2 parades around the main plaza and today, people in various traditional costumes of Northern Peru were getting ready for a simple parade for there is a tourist fair on the delights of Northern Peru held at Paseo Las Musas.

I caught the 10pm bus to Cajamarca. After we all settled down in our seats, the bus company guy actually came around to film each of the passengers’ face on the video camera. Wow, this was the first time I had seen this type of security check! I mean, this could be used later for identification of thieves, terrorists or the dead in the event of a crash. Quite a brilliant idea. Perhaps, Peru is taking more steps to make itself a safer destination to travel in view of its reputation.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply