BootsnAll Travel Network



Buffet Por Quilo

15 June 2005 (Wednesday) – Porto Alegre, Brazil to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Michele and I left the apartment together. She, to her office, and I, to the rodoviaria (bus station). She had been really apologetic for not being able to show me around as she was busy at work these 2 days, but hey, not to worry. She had already been wonderful offering me a place to stay at such a short notice.

Michele, my host in Porto Alegre

The bus-ride would take 25 hours to reach Rio de Janeiro.

At lunch, tea-break and dinner, we stopped at restaurants that exist purely for the purpose of feeding long-distance travellers around Brazil. Brazil is immense. Anything less than 12 hours is probably considered ‘very near’. Everyday, there are long-distance buses radiating out somewhere, some perhaps even as long as 3-days-long journeys!

These restaurants are huge. They are organised in such a way that you are given a card with a bar-code or a piece of paper when you enter. You then have the option of all-you-can-eat-buffet, or buffet-por-quilo where you pay whatever you could shove down your throat. The buffet and anything you buy from the drinks section or store would be scanned into the card or scribbled onto the paper and you pay everything when you leave. Excellent. Check out more of Brazilian cuisine here.

I left Buenos Aires to be THIN, I told myself!!! Come on, I have a bikini to fit into!! And here I was, gorging down buffet after buffet… Dios mio!



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply