BootsnAll Travel Network



On to La Sentio, and a quick trip to the hospital

Our final days at Jordi´s were fantastic, especially getting to see a semi-professional football game (European football, that is) happening in the small stadium across the street. The balconey of our room looked right on to the field and we kicked back on our last night in Balaguer with a couple of Estrella Damm beers (the local Pabst) and enjoyed the game. Balaguer won!

 

The next morning we excitedly packed up and Jordi drove us halfway to La Sentio, the next village over where our farm, Mas Lluerna, was.

Living “off the grid” is something that Jon and I have read about and talked about and been interested in. But as with everything else in life the theory of living off the grid is much different than the practice, and these people are practicing it! Ricard and Isel purchased the land where their farm sits 15 years ago and since then have aimed to live completely self sustainably. They grow their own food, have chickens and ducks for eggs, make their own soy milk, have a car that runs on veggie oil and a house that is 100% solar. They cook outside with solar ovens and their outdoor kitchen reuses local water through their filtration system. Their toilet is compost, their hot water is solar, their lives are not touched by or dependent on the outside world. It´s impressive.

off the grid is peaceful

It´s also quite different from what we were experiencing at Jordi´s. We´re a ten minute bike ride to the nearest town which is quite small, and a 30 minute bike ride to Balaguer. Ricard and Isel don´t speak any English so it´s up to our ever quickening Spanish skills for communication and sometimes that can lead to very long and confusing and frustrating conversations just to impart the simplest of instructions. We´re also quite alone out there as there are no other WWOOFers – or neighbors or friends – to speak of. It´s an interesting contrast for sure.

washing dishes

wake-up chickens!

Our days start at 4am when our backdoor neighbor, the rooster, starts crowing. He continues on like that while we shove earplugs in until we get up at 8:30. One of us then goes to prepare the breakfast porridge in the solar oven as it takes a bit to heat up, although really it is quite efficient.

We go to do work around the farm: moving wood, laying compost around trees, clearing weeds, and then we all gather at the outside table to eat breakfast while the ducks and chickens run around.

The day holds more work until around 6:30 when Jon and I go for a walk and anticipate the sunset which is always beautiful. We´ve found a vantage point on a rock that juts out over a valley and it can´t be beat for sunset watching. It´s a quiet time for us, doing work and trying to communicate and then resting in our tent. We´re enjoying the experience of it but are also looking forward to the next experience.

Apart from everything else I had quite an experience the other day and for that I´ll transcribe what I wrote in my journal at the end of the day:

Today went to hospital in Balaguer because I woke up with the wax earplug I´d put in the night before completely immersed inside my head. Couldn´t be touched with tweezers, could barely be seen by the naked eye. Caused much discomfort and pressure to build and by the end of breakfast and after Jon poked at it with no good result except my yelping it was decided that I should go to the doctor. My fears about money were quickly put to rest as Isel assured me that healthcare was free for everyone, not just citizens of EU as I´d thought. I walked into the hospital and walked out 20 minutes later with a very clean ear and no money requested. I was seen immediately, the doctor was professional if not silent, and injected my ear with high powered cold water three times until the very big, very deep piece of wax was dislodged and ejected. “Mira”, the nurse said, shoving the metal pan sloshing with water and a neon pink earplug under my nose before unceremoniously throwing it away. Then the doctor, the nurse, Jon and I all stood looking at each other before Jon and I showered them with “gracias” as we backed out the door and said to each other let´s get outta here! We were home an hour and a half after leaving and had time to go to the library and another town too! Score one for the Spanish medical system, let´s hope we don´t have to check in with them again.  On our way out of town I purchased foam earplugs with a cord attached so if the get stuck I can yank em out myself!¨

And finally, here´s a photo Isel took of us later on that same day.  I´m feeling very relieved.

Tags: ,



7 Responses to “On to La Sentio, and a quick trip to the hospital”

  1. Mother Hen Says:

    Wow! I’ve heard of ‘Pink-eye’ but not
    ‘Pink-EAR’.
    I envy you actually experiencing living off the grid but I am sure you are relieved that this part of the adventure will only be lasting 2 weeks. I’m happy you had the experience with Jordie first, if you had encountered this Back-to-Nature approach when you first arrived, you might not have been so enthusiastic about continuing. (chuckle!).
    Don’t forget to keep us informed about where you will be next – and let me know when the package arrives. Should be next Thurs or Fri. 10th or 11th.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. megan Says:

    Love the picture of the two of you.
    I’m glad your hospital trip went so well. At least now you know that you’ll get good care if something more dire comes up.

  4. Kimber Says:

    Seeing your lovely selves and reading about your recent days totally gave me the mental lift I needed tonight! Thanks for bringing me along on the vacation!!

  5. Posted from United States United States
  6. Brian Says:

    I’m glad your EU medical adventure went so cleanly. Your great attitude through what sounds like some new hardships is inspiring to all of us armchair world travelers! Much love to OS.

  7. Posted from United States United States
  8. Annie Says:

    You guys are beautiful and amazing. I can’t wait to hear more of your travels! booyah!

  9. Walter Matthau Says:

    La Sentio? More like lo siento!

    BTW I’m not dead bastards and I was once handsome.

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. tyler Says:

    chrstine, you and john look wonderful together so adorable. Kipp and I miss you so much. be safe and take care of each other.

    love you
    tyler

  12. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply