BootsnAll Travel Network



Jonathan Gets More Good Press…

A promotional poster for Sadhana Forest was just printed and there Jon is! Look at the right hand column,  third picture down, he’s got a hat on and he’s looking straight at the camera.  First the movie and now this…it seems that ever since we’ve come to India they just can’t get enough of his handsome face! sadhanaproof34.jpg

And now, a New Years’ announcement courtesy of Sadhana Forest… 

Dear friends and family

 

I would like to tell you about the fantastic nonprofit ecological project I am currently volunteering with, in the hope that you might like to generously offer your support.

 

I am working in Sadhana Forest, in South India, helping in the reforestation of 70 acres of severely eroded land to re-create a Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest. This forest type is indigenous to this area, but is now close to total extinction. Our work here is crucial to ensure this beautiful environment survives on earth.There are 20-60 volunteers who live and work here as an ecologically sustainable community to replant the forest. As well as this, we carry out other work such as gardening, composting, watering plants, cooking and spending time with the local children. We practice an eco-friendly way of life including veganism, alternative construction, solar energy, using biodegradable toiletries, and compost toilets.

 

Since the Sadhana Forest project started in 2003, over 20,000 trees have been planted by more than 1,600 volunteers, interns, and students from India and around the world. Hundreds of local children from the surrounding villages have also taken part in the project.

 

The founders of Sadhana also intend to set up similar projects in other parts of the world. They would like to start by settling up a similar community in Senegal, Africa, and a huge amount of work and research has gone into developing these plans.

 

How can you help?Sadhana Forest is in urgent need of funds to ensure that this vital ecological work can continue. The project is run in an extremely economically efficient way, but there are core costs involved in order to facilitate the work that takes place here. A small donation will go a long way to help Sadhana Forest sustain and grow, and to welcome more volunteers to carry out the tree planting.

 

I would therefore be very grateful if you felt able to donate whatever you can afford to support this important project!

 

$5 will buy a new shovel for planting or building work $6 will buy a new bucket for washing clothes and kitchen work$8 will buy a new crowbar for planting and building work$10 will buy a new mattress for volunteers to sleep on* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * $20 will pay for the cost of planting 20 trees* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * $30 will pay for transport for local children to be involved in the project for 3 trips$40 will sponsor volunteer food and biodegradable toiletries for 2 weeks (for volunteers who can’t afford to cover costs themselves, especially local Indian volunteers)$50 will pay for 1 month of internet connection to Sadhana Forest $60 will buy first aid supplies for volunteers for 1 month$150 will buy research development materials, such as books and computer programs.$400 will buy an electric bike for volunteer transport $2,000 will fund a research trip to Senegal for 1 person $2,000 will pay for an electric vehicle charging station $4000 will buy an upgrade for the solar power system $6,000-12,000 will pay for the materials and labor to build a new dormitory hut 

 

You can easily donate online through the Auroville community website, which collects the funds to pass on to Sadhana Forest. Please make sure you select ‘Sadhana Forest Appeal’ as the project that you wish to support, as there are other projects listed on this website.

 

http://www.aviuk.org/fundraising.htm

 

If you able to make a donation, please do drop me an email to let me know so I can thank you for your generosity!

 

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and learn about the work that I am doing at Sadhana Forest. I hope that you will be able to make a small contribution to ensuring this crucial work can continue. 

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply