BootsnAll Travel Network



Beach-side at Mamallapuram

On our way from Chennai to Pondicherry we decided to stop for a few days in picturesque Mamallapuram.On the Eastern coast, Mamallapuram is especially known for two things: the beautiful and intricate carved temples that rise up towering over the town and along the beach, and the local craft which is carving intricate designs by hand into granite figures.We arrived on Tuesday morning and soon secured a room for 200 rupees a night (about $4.00) for two nights. This seemed to be a good deal considering the private bathroom featuring a Western-style toilet (as opposed to the squat toilet we’re now used to) and a shower. No hot water…but who needs it in this kind of heat?!We found a beach side restaurant where we could get an early lunch and take in the scenery. The beach of Mamallapuram is lovely, and inhabited by two constants: colorful fishing boats……and cows.One would have to say that seeing herds of wild cows on the beach is a bit unusual, but then there’s nothing unusual about seeing cows anywhere and everywhere in India. And I guess cows can enjoy the sand as much as anyone…We walked around the touristy town and were greeted by our first monkeys – they were a nice family making their home in a few trees along an alley. The alley walls were typical of security-minded Indians in that the tops were inlaid with glass shards. Fortunately, the monkeys didn’t seem to mind.Twice along our walk to the temples, the local carving students came along to be our “unofficial” tour guides. They understood we didn’t require their presence but they insist they just want to practice their English. Indians also like to befriend foreigners and conversation with strangers is like a national past time. One of our friends accompanied us through the ancient cave temples and talked about his carving studies.He was also nice enough to take our picture.One afternoon we stopped by one of the Western style bakeries which served cake and coffee. There we met an English woman who was volunteering as a teacher in the town. She recommended a dinner spot called Le Yogi and we ended up there the next night. While dining there with some new friends we’d just met, a film scout approached Jonathan with an offer to be an extra in a movie being filmed near a city called Mysore (the pay would be 1200 rupees per day). Jonathan was a little skeptical but Christine and the others reassured him and he decided to accept the offer and meet the next morning.We had spent a lovely two days relaxing and wandering around this quieter seaside town. We bought two silk hammocks and two mosquito nets and we learned a lot about smart-shopping in India, i.e. bargaining. We also enjoyed great seafood, coffee, and other treats before leaving back to Chennai with Vishua to be in the movies!

Tags: , ,



4 Responses to “Beach-side at Mamallapuram”

  1. Tyler Says:

    wow, Johnathan has become quite the celeb in India. I’m sure I’ll be reading all about him on perezhilton.com lol. Sounds like you guys are having an amazing time. I’m glad your both doing so well and having fun. Miss you love

    Tyler

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Rain Says:

    I hope you guys are ok! Stay safe! Love you!

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Martianshark Says:

    Superganeshariffic! Im so happy for you guys! Its actually snowing in portland today so i will think of you guys and your adventures in india as i lounge in the fortress at the end of the universe puffing dimes and yo! Miss you!

  6. RUTLEDGENATALIA Says:

    That is cool that people are able to take the home loans and that opens up completely new chances.

Leave a Reply