BootsnAll Travel Network



a quick update and a thought

by Jonathan

I just wanted to update our dear readers that posts are coming soon – they are exciting and have lots of pictures of us in awesome places.

Unfortunately, our photo card-disk was infected with a virus while in India and so uploading photos has been a problem. Fortunately, the Chateau’s guest computer has good anti-virus which should solve the problem. Unfortunately, our host Paul has been busy and hasn’t gotten to administer running the anti-virus program. We’ll step up the pressure on him though and ease his workload so hopefully by the end of the week, there’ll be some pretty pictures of us to go with our stories.

For now, I wanted to share that things in the garden are moving along. We’re getting ready for a local tourism rep to visit the chateau so we’re beautifying the grounds (lawn mowing and floor waxing). Officially there are several rooms that are ready for guests and the first booking has been made for a dance class in the “Rennaissance Room.”

The other day I had my first encounters with the voles which are a kind of field mouse. Since now we’re gardeners, part of our job is to deter or eliminate pests from damaging the crops. As I was checking over the forest garden, I heard the rustlings of a rodent and was able to spot it digging away near a fruit tree. With some hesitation, I grabbed the nearest stick and struck at it, doing my best to kill it with one blow. I failed and it scurried away after the second attempt (which broke my stick). We also have processional moth catepillars which nest in the conifer trees but they don’t threaten our food crops. Our hosts want them dead nevertheless and so I feel obliged to stamp them out whenever I come across them. As an environmentalist and nature-lover, it’s easy to forget what it feels like to purposefully kill something other than an insect.

Finding the nerve to violently kill innocent living creatures is tough and I wonder if my Karma will suffer. All too often, people run for a can of chemicals that bring about death slowly and remotely – out of sight of the killer. This option, along with fatal trapping, is neither humane, nor is it natural, and so for me it is not an option. Which means that I can resort to live traps, natural predators, or killing them myself. There are already several hawks in the area but we’re looking to build an owl’s nest box to catch the nocturnal critters as well. In the meantime, I’ll try to convince myself that voles are not so important in this ecosystem – or perhaps I will turn a blind eye.

Tags: ,



6 Responses to “a quick update and a thought”

  1. MomT:) Says:

    Darling,
    I understand the unsettled feeling of killing insects and other critters that can damage the garden or the home. I always try to scope them up and release them out the door/window. Although I have had Dad put some poison out for rodents when they have gotten in the walls a couple of times over the last 25 years. I felt terrible but I REALLY HATED having them in the house!! I guess that’s shared Karma for Dad & me!
    For some house insects, taping bay leaves inside cupboards works well: boric acid sprinkled around the edges of rooms is another. Outside-mothballs in the garden help; spraying soapy water or water with cayenne pepper works but you have to do it after each rain. And of course, men’s urine keeps the deer away so just be natural while working in the garden ;-).
    Dad’s suggestions: Shillouets of large birds in black metal/wood on a pole works. And he suggested talking with local farmers to see what time-tested ideas they use.
    Can’t wait to see more pictures of your(s) most amazing jouney!
    Miss you both terribly but love knowing you are having the time of your lives!!!
    Big hugs & kisses,
    MT:)

  2. MomT:) Says:

    Did you noticed the Terminix ad just under your posting about pesky things?

    Made me smile 🙂

  3. Mother Hen Says:

    On catching/eliminating voles
    Some possibilities . . . glue boards: a live catch, glue is released with vegetable oil. Ultra sonic devices are humane and work very well but need to be plugged in and impractical outside in the garden. Some american companies have a liquid spray repellant that is useable in an organic garden but I don’t know how you would obtain it over there. The brand name here is Victor.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Annie Says:

    Jon, I’m sorry to hear about your hard times with the garden pests. I know you are doing the best you can to deal with the little creatures with compassion and as humanely as possible. I know it hurts all the same. good luck finding a way that feels better to you.

    I can’t wait to hear more about the chateau. Brian and I were gaping at the pics of India earlier today. Seems like such an amazing experience!

    Love love!!

  6. Posted from Spain Spain
  7. Dad Says:

    Jon,
    I talked to Grandma B on Easter and mentioned your vole problem. While at the lake she would run water into their tunnel openings flooding them out. They left and didn’t return. I don’t know if you have access to that amount of water. She was using the irragation system which was pumped from the lake. I know David P used to shoot ground hogs in the garden with a twenty two.
    Good luck! Much love to both of you.

  8. seeingspain Says:

    Wow, sincere thanks to everyone for such supportive comments! We are eager to try out a few of your great suggestions. In the meantime, the hawks have been busy, we think raising some chicks from a nest in the chateau.

  9. Posted from France France

Leave a Reply