BootsnAll Travel Network



Port Townsend

Awoke finally to the grey overcast and misting of the Northwest that I remember. I had the breakfast special here at the hotel, and it was great, a crab omelet. Out the window I noticed a Pine tree like the two hundred year old one we saw at Miyajima Island in Japan, at 3-4 feet high it was turned, and grows sideways, with supports. It was part of a long path of Japanese style garden. I drove east, back to Sequim (pronounced Skwim) and went out on the Dungeness Wildlife Refuge. As I stopped at the “scenic view” and walked up to the fence on the cliff’s edge, two eagles flew out from right under my feet, and proceeded to cruise back and forth right in front of me. Several crows didn’t like that and chased after them. One of the eagles landed on the cliff top edge twice and didn’t seem to mind me being 15 feet away, which was great.

I walked about 1.5 miles out the spit, but didn’t think the 5 miles to the lighthouse was worth it. Washington beaches are a different thing than Florida for sure. The heavy rock load, all round and smooth, the giant logs and stumps, the smell! Some call it fishy, but I love the briny, salty odor here. It reminds me that the ocean is alive with kelp, fish, birds and all. I don’t know why it is only cold water oceans that have this great smell, warm water oceans either don’t smell, or are actually fishy. After my walk there I went to the Native Art Gallery. The S’Klallam tribe has a bit of ground with a tribal center, art gallery, and of course casino. The art was nice, but pricey. I pressed on to Port Townsend. It was the end of the Rhododendron festival, with the parade. Unfortunately the weather this year made them all a bit late in blooming, but the festival was enjoyed none the less. Port Townsend was going to be the main city in the area in the late 1800’s but there was some economic bust that made the railroad not come out to here. Prior to that all the ships came here. Without the railroad, all the ships passed on and went to Seattle which grew huge, and Port Townsend collapsed to a few thousand, mostly farmers. Now it is having some resurgence as an artist town and haven. The local museum was interesting and then back to Port Angeles with a brief stop at the casino to donate $40 to the cause.



Tags:

2 Responses to “Port Townsend”

  1. Kelley Kauff Says:

    That is awesome!!! How close were you to the bear?

  2. James Says:

    About 100 yards maybe, my camera has a pretty good zoom, and I don’t like to hassle the animals.
    now I am in the nugget hotel and casino in Reno, Nevada, heading to the Canyonlands.

  3. Posted from United States United States