BootsnAll Travel Network



Malolo Lailai

Kava Ceremony

Chillin'

Sunday was the final day on the Tui Tai. A couple of nice dives in the morning and then onto a beach for a BBQ lunch and some volleyball. I even tried the stand up paddle boards, and although I didn’t fall off, they are harder than they look. We had a final very calm night and good sleep. In the morning we all said our goodbyes and off on our own ways. Mine took me back to the Daku Resort for another restful day/night and I got a load of laundry done not a moment too soon.

Monday I got my flight from Savusavu to Nadi and then a cab over to Denarau Island Marina to catch the Malolo Cat to my next stop: Musket Cove Resort on Malolo Lailai island. Denarau Island is a very posh resort area with all the upscale resorts, golf courses, landscaping and of course shops. Malolo Lailai is a small island with two resorts, Plantation Island which is chock full of kids and Musket Cove with some kids but more yachties (the folks sailing themselves around the islands). This morning I did a two tank dive which was fine. I think I am getting pretty spoiled, to me the dive was “fine” but to most of the group it was “awesome, Incredible, etc.”

I haven’t made mention yet that the landscape of Fiji is different than the other islands. The Cook Islands and French Polynesia remind me greatly of Hawaii, very volcanic, and “tropical” looking. Fiji is more worn down and less “volcanic” looking. It actually reminds me of Costa Rica. There are tropical plants and palms and all, but also a lot of other trees, lots of mangrove and actual dirt on the ground. The Fijians don’t have a lot, but don’t seem to be living in poverty either. They have a very happy spirit and are waving and shouting “Bula!” all the time. I think they have a strong sense of family and village.

I expect the next several days to be a slow down, with the occasional dive and a lot of reading and lying around.



Tags:

Comments are closed.