BootsnAll Travel Network



Gasping in Quito

Joy, Ed, and Griff



So now I begin to think it was the 9000 foot elevation that had me puffing and lightheaded on the high plateaus of Utah, who would have thunk it? Taking it real easy in the hotel room in downtown Quito, getting acclimated. I had a great time in the Bay area. Met up with old friends; Ed, Joy, Griff, Lynne and even Bill English whom I hadn’t seen since college in the dark ages. We ate, drank and laughed ’til I had tears on my face. So many stories I had forgotten (repressed) from those days.
We went over to Half-Moon Bay, and had a nice little walk along the cliff and lunch. It was overcast and chilly, but nice. Unfortunately there was no surf to watch, I had hoped for a glimpse of some big waves at Mavericks. Sunday was sunny and we went to the FILOLI Gardens, then met for a burger at the Oasis, the best burgers in the Bay area. Monday Griff and I went up to the Muir Woods National Park just north of the City. It was beautiful, with the sun filtering through the high tree canopy. The Redwoods are taller and thinner than the Giant Sequoias of Yosemite area. It was somewhat crowded, but a sight to behold none the less. We stopped in to Ton Kiang Dim Sum restaurant for lunch, superb! If you get to San Francisco try it out, on Geary Blvd. at 22nd.
I had a few very fast days at home, to get cleaned up, do paperwork and repack for the flight to Quito. Tomorrow we get the city tour here, then Sunday on to the Galapagos.



Tags:

One Response to “Gasping in Quito”

  1. John Yoachim Says:

    I just read your blog for the first time and enjoyed all the pictures. You were here in Seattle on the best day of the year so far. Maybe a couple of days in the 70’s this week. You’ve almost got me talked into seeing some of these places. Our next trip will be to Eugene in Sept. for a rock and roll gig.

  2. Posted from United States United States