BootsnAll Travel Network



Aitutaki in the Cook Islands

It was a wonderful ride to the airport at Atiu in the back of Roger’s pickup, the cool breeze in our faces and the scent of jasmine. Until about a 1/2 km from the airport when the rains came. Good thing I don’t melt! We watched the plane roar into a landing and when they checked the mail, no vouchers for me. The Air Raro guy pulls me into the office and closes the door while he calls Rarotonga to find them. A few minutes later I look out the window and see Roger looking around and he hollers, “Your plane is taking off!!” We run out and flag down the pilot who stops, opens the door and lets me in. I guess they were in a hurry.

Here in Aitutaki it is a bigger Island (1900 people) and definitely a more upscale resort. The Etu Moana is fantastic, would stay here for sure on this island. My bungalow is one of eight which all face the ocean. The water is simply beautiful in the lagoon. Yesterday I went scuba diving for the first time since January. Unfortunately the weather here is quite windy and they have had some rain the night before, so the visibility was only 30 feet or so, not the usual 100 feet. I did see an amazing thing, “ghost coral”. It is chocolate brown and looks like small brain coral, but when you touch it lightly it turns white! Very interesting. No big fish, and I haven’t seen any whales although it is into the season for them to be around, so I am hoping. Last night I had a great buffet and dinner show at a resort down the road. I didn’t know what most of it was, but it was all great, and the dancing and fire show were excellent. Aitutaki is renowned for it’s drummers. Coming back I am glad I have a small headlamp/flashlight as the roads have no lights, and it is black. The stars are crazy clear here as well, I am working on learning what is where in the southern sky.

Friday morning snorkeling tour of the Aitutaki lagoon. It is 12 km wide and 15 km long. We set out in two boats, seven others and I were with Shaka and Captain No-good. We went snorkeling and saw lots of reef fish, and one Napolean red, about 1.25 meters long and 1/2 meter tall. The weather was better, and I saw some blue starfish, purple coral, red tailed tropicbirds, frigate birds, the post office on One Foot Island and the islands they used for Survivor Cook Islands. Rented a scooter for cruising the island today, what great fun. I went on just about every road on Aitutaki, from end to end. I ran into Dennis and Jennifer from scuba diving at Samade on the Beach, and had a huge steak sandwich at Koru restaurant. I find myself occasionally with a huge grin on my face, and then realize I am scootering in the South Pacific, how amazing! Wish I could stay here longer, but I am off to Rarotonga, the big island.



Tags:

Comments are closed.