BootsnAll Travel Network



6/8

Needless to say I get no sleep and arise, tired as usual at 8 am. Go down to reception, the door and window are closed, there is a sign on the window, “went out to eat, will return”. I wait 45 minutes, have now missed my train. Finally a pair of German guys come and knock on the door. It turns out the guy has been in there the whole time, sleeping on the floor with some chick. I guess that’s about what I should have expected for ten euros a night. Now on the train to Pisa. Every train I take is different, they come in all shapes and sizes and seating arrangements. I watch as Italy passes by. Kerouac has definitely gotten to me, I walk down the Pisa streets with a big shit-eating grin on my face. Just absorbing it, soaking it in. The leaning tower definitely leans. Drink some beers, hike it back in with the rucksack pulling on me. Grab the return train in the nick of time. Storm clouds are rolling in, it hasn’t rained in eleven days. Arrive in Florence, hop on the #12 bus along with Luis and Debra, who I meet there at the bus stop. The bus has a computer monitor hanging from the ceiling. It goes this way and that, across a bridge and voila the camping ground. It is a cool arrangement, ready-made tents and beds, showers bar and food at a very cheap rate. The place is full of frat boy types, so I take a walk for a while. There is an amazing view of the city from the Michaelangelo Piazza. I drink it in. The night’s sleep is a very cold one, it definitely cools off at night in this here Italy, even in mid June. I huddle in the blanket to no avail.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply