BootsnAll Travel Network



She rides!

Yesterday evening saw the maiden voyage of the beautiful green canoe that is to be Dan and my lifeline in weeks to come. The evening before I peformed a brief ceremony involving the pouring of a few drops (wouldn’t want to waste too much) of white wine (not Champagne; times are hard) over the hull and gunwhales.

The problem is – and comments would be gratefully received here – I want to call ‘her’ The Mungo Park – but obviously the use of a masculine name isn’t consistent with the tradition of ships taking female identities. Does anyone know anything about this? I’m not that fussed, but I guess what I’m driving it is that I don’t want to incur the wrath of Davey Jones by getting it wrong and ending up at the bottom of the Niger. Come on all you nautical types out there…

Naming complications aside, she handled beautifully. I know Salisbury’s Nadder and Avon rivers are about as far removed from the Niger as you can get, but ultimately a river’s a river, and she took it all in her stride. I’m not quite sure what she’ll be like in whitewater, but to be honest if it gets that gnarly out there, I’m quite happy to get out and walk!



Tags:

2 Responses to “She rides!”

  1. admin Says:

    Countdown to the ‘official’ test begins. Forecast is wet for the weekend, but we…er… I, need a bit of toughening up, so bring it on!

  2. Mace Says:

    Check out the range of ‘ tent hammocks’ available, such as the Hennessey Hammock. light and creepy-crawly-proof and can double as a bivi-bag. Keep on blogging, boys!

Leave a Reply