BootsnAll Travel Network



Allah provides

The first break down. Are someones prayers are answered?A needle in a haystack.  Is this the un-ident thief?The second break down.  Is the smoker calming his guilt ridden nerves?Re-tracing my steps: I take the same bus back to Sevare - the rock formation 'Fatima's Hand' resplendant in first light.We break down another 4 times.I contemplate my fortunes, and my next move.I consult an old woman 'medium', who tells me to apease my demons  by buying food for the starving bus station children.Something positive came out of the loss.

After Tabaski, leaving Ben to return to Djenne with Cat, I decided to head off to Hombori, Mali’s very own Monument Valley, with Trevor – an Aussie travelling in Africa for a year.

The bus that we took from Sevare looked no worse than any of the other beaten up vehicles leaving that morning, but it proved less than up to the task. We wheezed to a stop on several occasions, the resident grease monkey being kept firmly on his toes.

Trev and I had been assigned two fold down seats over the back steps. We both looked down quizzically at the empty space that should have formed the bit you sit on. They were then produced, matter of factly, from the overhead shelf and we sat, semi reclined, allowing ourselves a rye smile: we had a relatively obscene amount of leg space. My luck was to drain away quickly, though. And severely.

During one of our impromptu stops, and the obligatory deconstruction of our seats to let everyone off, my money belt with my passport, and I went our separate ways.

Exactly when and where, I have no idea, but having extracted my bags from the bowels of the bus on reaching our destination, I realised what was missing, and knowing I had already checked under the seats, I turned to Trev and said: ‘Mate, I’ve got a really bad feeling about this’.

The bus was crowded with turban clad Touregs, who took the opportunity on one of our stops to conduct an ad-hoc prayer session. It’s possible that the belt fell out here and is still there – unclaimed booty – but not likely. More probable is the assumption that someones prayers were answered: they pocketed the money and destroyed the passport.

Needless to say, this event has slightly influenced the last two weeks!

I carried on with the trip to Timbuctou with Ben and friends, an opportunity not to be missed, then returned about a week ago to Bamako to sort out a new passport and decide on what to do next.

Here, Mohammed from the British Consulate in the Canadian Embassy (the is no British Embassy in Mali) took up the case with a smile and a refreshing ‘can-do’ attitude. He was due to fly to Dakar in two days, so he agreed to take my application with him and return at the end of the week. Meanwhile, our trusted Malian friends Sekou and Adama, together with a returning party of Bens’ friends provided much needed moral support.

With a rather humbling and extraordinary team effort, I find myself here in Niamey with Ben once again, new passport with new visas in hand, just a week after returning to Bamako.

Thanks to everyone already mentioned, and a very supportive family back home…



Tags: , ,

One Response to “Allah provides”

  1. JO Says:

    dudes
    glad to hear you’re successfully reunited once more. looking forward to tales/pictures of further adventures. we’ve returned to a freezing cold london and i feel zombified with culture shock. think today at work was the longest day back in the history of first-day-backs. anyway, early night is in order, just wanted to check in and say hi. i’m counting the days until you’re back safely. in the meantime…enjoy. much love j xx

Leave a Reply