BootsnAll Travel Network



Update from Vietnam

After a month long hiatus (from blogging, not traveling) I think I am ready to start again. This is basically for the 10 faithful followers who have asked me to keep writing.

I write now from Dalat in the Vietnamese interior. At the moment I am obsessing on visa issues. I bought the expensive 3-month multiple entry visa in New Zealand. It is good from March 1 through June 1. Unfortunately, when I got to Thailand I decided to head north instead of east and then continued on a slow tour through Laos and Cambodia. Thus, I didn’t enter Vietnam until May 10. This left me 3 weeks in Vietnam of which I have now used up almost 2 and have not even made it to the center of Vietnam. Supposedly it was easy to get a one month visa extension, but I have discovered that that applies only to the 30-day tourist visa. So now I am working at getting a 2-week extension to my visa. Oops. Either I will have my extension in a few days, or I will be scooting out of Vietnam faster than hoped.

During my “writer’s strike” I spent about three weeks in Cambodia which I loved. Here’s the quick update:

Siem Reap- home of Angkor Wat. Spent 4 days there, 3 at the temples. Take a thesaurus, look up magnificent or unbelievable, and then just apply all of the words and you will have a semi-apt description of Angkor Wat. Also got my first intro to Cambodian traffic which makes being a pedestrian challenging to say the least. Siem Reap is mostly a tourist town which is a bit sad. The temples are managed by the Vietnamese (under a 99-year lease) and I am not sure how much of the money filters down to the Cambodians. There are about a zillion hotels in town, with another million under construction. It is hard to imagine how all of these hotels make money. I am told there are a lot of package tours from Asia. This is even sadder since it means that the tourists fly in on a foreign airline, pay for a foreign-owned hotel, take a tour package to view the ruins and then leave. Cambodia is worth more than a pit stop.

Gotta run- my Easy Rider will be here soon. Will pick this up.



Tags: , ,

3 responses to “Update from Vietnam”

  1. Jill Newfield says:

    Glad your blog is back, I missed your posts. Were ruins in Angor Wat destroyed or something?

  2. karen says:

    Glad to have the opportunity to feel like we visited for a moment. Angor Wat sounds amazing…Is it handicap accessible for me? Have fun, and keep in touch.

  3. tom says:

    I’m Glad you’re back!!! I”m also glad that you got to see Angkor Wat. Friends of mine visited there several years ago and I was luck enough to see their pix. The most amazing place. I’m sure the guides took you to the porno sites (for tose of you who visited the Vitri house in Pompeii can relate to what i’m referring to) Keep well and talk to us soon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *