BootsnAll Travel Network



Skydive Queenstown

For those of you wanting to make sure I’m alive, I am and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aside from that mental glitch where you’re trying to convince yourself that falling out of an airplane is nothing to freak out about, it was the easiest thing to do. Much less scary than bungy jumping and no weirder that paragliding- where you have to tell yourself that it’s okay to run off a mountain.

I jumped from 12,000 feet. You go up in this little bitsy plane which makes quite a bit of noise. 8 of us were packed in like sardines. While in the plane you are snuggled, pretty much head to toe, with your driver?/flyer?- well, the guy who knows what he’s doing so you don’t have to. I got to jump first which I kind of appreciated because I didn’t really want to watch other people going out.

At 12,000 feet the door to the airplane slides over, Nick (thank you Nick, you were great!) told me to hook my legs over, thrust my hips forward, and lean my head back. By the time I did this- about 2 seconds, I think he gave me a little nudge, and we were out of the plane- and FLYING!

It doesn’t really feel like falling, it feels like flying. It’s not scary even though I’m sure that’s hard to believe. You can see forever and what you’re seeing is MAGNIFICENT. (Sorry, but this blog entry just cries out for caps.)

The freefall time (I think they said it was 45 seconds) feels much longer, but when the parachute is opened you wish you were still falling.

I had no desire to land and I would do it again in a heartbeat were it not for the price. I have had this big smile on my face for the past 5 hours.

There is only one major problem with all of this- what can I possibly do for my birthday next year?



Tags: , ,

5 responses to “Skydive Queenstown”

  1. Rich says:

    Wow. Happy Birthday Myra. BTW, did you get Nick’s phone number?

  2. Karen says:

    Happy birthday! What a great way to celebrate. Now I need to figure out how to see your photos. Stay safe and have a blast.

  3. Jill says:

    More power to you! I can’t imagine I ever would get up the courage but I know it’s an experience of a lifetime. It’s in the commercial for Bucket List (new movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman). So, maybe it’s something everyone’s gotta do. Continue to keep us posted on your adventures and, again, Happy Birthday (now belated)!

  4. Stacey Snyder says:

    Hi Myra. Happy Birthday from me and Ricky. Sounds like you’re having a great time. On the ballet front, Damien Woetzel is retiring in June 08. Miss you. Stacey

  5. Fran says:

    What a way to spend your birthday! I had only been joking when I asked you if you were planning to skydive. Hey…I managed to find your photos (even without Sammi’s help)–they were amazing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *