BootsnAll Travel Network



I’m in New Zealand, where are you?

Okay, everybody had complaints that I wasn’t updating my blog. Now that I’ve updated it, nobody has anything to say. Hey folks, drop me a line!

I’m writing this from Wellington after a few days in Auckland and Rotorua (kept wanting to call it Rotor Rooter and thinking “away go troubles down the drain”. Probably too dated for many of you.)

Wellington was a pretty city but waaaay too hilly. Unfortunately the maps show you the streets but don’t say uphill or downhill. Needless to say I inevitably picked the uphill route. Good for the calves if you want to think optimistically.

Problem for the moment is that it’s the Christmas season and many things are closed. Can’t blame this on NZ because I would have to have hit the Christmas season somewhere. Last hurdle will be New Year’s and then things should go back to normal.

Rotorua is midway down the North Island of NZ. It is famous for the hot springs and the Maori culture. Why would anybody choose to live in a city that smells of sulphur? Went to a Maori cultural performance and “hangi” (banquet where dinner is cooked underground). Liked the Maori performances better than the Tahitian ones. The Tahitian dancing seems to consist of a lot of hip wiggling (females) and knee shaking (males) whereas the Maori dancing was more varied. We learned about had fluttering (which signifies life) and watched them manipulate and toss sticks (done to increase agility). We also watched the women do a dance with something that I think was called a “pa”. It’s a long string with little bitsy pompom-like things at each end. Also learned for agility. And of course we saw the war-like dances where the men make their eyes really wide and stick out their tongues. (Didn’t seem that frightening to me, but it scared the shit out of the 3 year olds in the audience.)

Question about the Maori culture in NZ. Everybody seems so proud of being Maori or part Maori, which I think is cool, but there’s no discussion of any problems (e.g. racism, discrimination, etc.) I saw “Once Were Warriors” and it didn’t sound to me like everything was perfect. On the other hand, it seemed impolite of me to ask this. I would note that most of NZ has Maori names for the towns, parks, etc. and I can’t pronounce 90% of them.

For those envying my “summer” vacation, I would like to mention that Wellington was rainy and about 50 degrees when I arrived yesterday. But today was better.

More from South Island next week and Happy New Year to all if I don’t write sooner.



Tags: , , , ,

2 responses to “I’m in New Zealand, where are you?”

  1. Rich says:

    Well the weather report from New England has been snowy — 21 inches over two storms within 3 days – but the snow is subsiding due to temps in the 50s. Christmas came and went with little fanfare… except a neighbors constantly deflating santa claus, and the quadrillion LED light strings that are very “green” compared to the colored bulbs of xmas’ past. Still waiting for the Church to admit that Mary Magdalen wasn’t a whore and that Isaac Newton wasn’t a heretic pinko. As you may have figured, I live in a mostly Catholic neighborhood, just down the street from the “Mary Queen of Martyrs” parish hall. After all I did attend Notre Dame Grammar School and suffered physical and emotional brow-beatings on a daily basis, culminating in my sprinting away from the Church at age 14 and becoming a life-long atheist, with brief encounters with the likes of Elijah, Queen Esther and Mel Brooks. So long for now, and I enjoy reading your blog. Keep on truckin’.

  2. Debby says:

    Hi Myra,nrnrI laughed at your description of New Zealand because it sounds like your experience is much like the one I had. Thankfully, I did not have to walk up the hills in Wellington! Did you love the water crossing? It’s really beautiful. Rotorua smells like rotten eggs, but the themal geysers are really interesting – boiling mud that pops into the air every so often. It’s also stinky!!! You will love the rest of the south island – the beautiful mountains and aqua lakes. Go up to Franz Joseph Glacier on a helicopter if you get the chance. And don’t forget Milford Sound. BEAUTIFUL!nrnrIt’s rainy (duh) and chilly in Seattle. Hope you had a great Hannukah and a warmer New Year. nrnrDebby (bus 44)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *