BootsnAll Travel Network



Halloween in Ottawa

There are some parts of travelling that are annoying and having to get up at 4.30am to catch a train is one of them.  Struggled out of bed and trying to do everything possible not to make too much noise so I didnt wake up the rest of the guys in my dorm.  Its like coming home drunk and trying not to wake up the parents – everything you try to do quietly just seems to make so much more noise!!

There was no way i was gonna walk to the train station at 5 in the morning so called a taxi and sped towards a very quiet train station that had only just opened.  Had to change trains in Montreal but luckily didnt have to wait for longer than half hour before boarding and then made my way to the capital city Ottawa.

I had previously decided that i didnt want to stay in an HI hostel as it for some reson didnt appeal – so booked in at one slightly further out and im so glad i did as it ended up being one of the best places i have stayed on my trip.

The hostel itself is a converted house and has a huge porch with comfy sofas – so north american.  The hostel was having a halloween party tonight and had a chest full of fancy dress so there was no reason for anyone to not dress up.  Pumpkins filled the porch and people wandered past all dressed up. No one seems to bat an eyelid here – we walked to the beer store and all the place was filled with a mix of weird and wonderful costumes.  They dont just dress up here in halloween scary costumes – oh no anything is the norm, i couldnt even tell you what some people were meant to be as their costumes made no sense.  It was an awesome night and we all got a little merry and watched a ‘scary’ – now i put emphasis on this – movie.  Dark Water was not scary in the slighest and was one of the worst films i have ever seen – however it was addictive and none of us could seem to stop watching and change the channel.

On thursday i received an email from my uncle who had come to Ottawa and was staying in a hotel about 10 mins from me.  He had managed to get tickets for the hockey tonight the Ottawa Senators v Atlanta Thrashers so i walked to his hotel to meet him.  Now as i came across the Chateau Laurier hotel i felt a little conspicuous walking in.  Its like a fairy tale castle and must be one of the plushest hotels i have ever seen.  Now imagine me – lowly backpacker wearing scruffy clothes – the people in the lobby all stopped and stared wondering what on earth i was doing in a place like this.  I mean this place is the creme de la creme, a 7* place and my how the other half do live. 

i have become totally addicted to hockey – i thing its gonna be up there on the same level as soccer – yes my god i have started to call it that – it just gets confusing over here otherwise.  I love the passion of this game and the over the top way the crowd are kept entertained.  The best thing is you can have beer at your seat and you dont have to move to buy it – its great stuff is brought to you!!  Thanks to my uncle i am now the proud owner of a Sens shirt – go Sens go – and they are my new team.  Now i just need to study their history – well that i can do at the Hockey hall of fame in Toronto.  The best part – the Sens won 6 – 4.  It got nailbiting in the third period when the Thrashers scored 4 times to come behind from 5 – 0.

Having been partying and been to a hockey game – it was really time to do some sightseeing in Ottawa.  Now unless you are a museum buff there isnt too much to do here so mostly i just wandered around taking pictures.  I did stop at the Parliament to take a free tour which was cool.  Very much like the one at home, it has the most gorgeous library which is massive and contains a statue of Queen Victoria – who is loved here although im not completely sure why.  The best thing about this was that it was totally free and i got to listen to some interesting info about the building which i wont bore you with.  I did go up in the elevator for some fantastic views over Ottawa though.

 

 

Back at the hostel that night a group of us decided to have a few games of poker – uh oh.  Luckily decided to not play for money – well we are all poor backpackers.  Had to teach the game to three people who had never played before – but i think we got jinxed on that otherwise they had beginners luck.  After 4 hours of playing and having great conversation only the ladies remained and we had knocked the guys out – go girl power!!  I myself at 2.30am got bored and decided to go all in on a two pair and not surprisinly lost.

I have totally loved my time in Ottawa – the hostel was awesome and just felt so homely which was clearly evidenced by the fact that previous people who had stayed there and now lived in Ottawa all came by to hang out there in the evenings.  I almost wish i could have stayed there a bit longer but i must move on as there are more places to see.

When i eventually find a place where i can upload photos i will post them from Quebec and Ottawa – but at the moment i havent found anywhere but hopefully soon.  Now im off to Toronto and then Niagara Falls.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *