BootsnAll Travel Network



Goodbye Canada – Hello USA

Met up with Pam at a very early hour in the morning of 1st dec and we headed over to the amtrak station for a bus to Seattle and then a train to Portland. As we pulled out of Vancouver the snow began to fall and we wondered how far it would follow us. It was cool having someone to talk to on the bus as i have been used to going alone so good to have conversation. We arrived at the border crossing into the US and headed inside with our bags to be checked and quizzed. Well the latter part was all just for me as rest of bus was full of North Americans and i was shock horror a ‘foreigner’ This was going to be interesting. I had to fill out the green waiver form which i get to pay $6 for the priviledge of coming overland. And then once filled out i the questioning began.

Where was i going, did i know anyone in the US, how did i know them, what was my job in the UK, how much did i earn, how long was i going to be in the US, how much money did i think 90 days in the US would cost, how much money did i have, did i have an itinerary sorted out, where had i been, where was i going after and did i have a flight out of the US booked. Having made up answers to these questions on the spot as they were fired rapidly at me – trying to get a reaction – i kept muttering to myself – no sarcasm Michelle – no sarcasm – in the end the ‘nice US man’ gave up trying to catch me out – especially when i showed him i would be leaving this wonderful country in 90 days. I put my bags through screening and paid my dollars and got my visa stapled in my passport and then i rejoined the bus. Have you ever been really late to the gate of your flight and everyone else is already seated and ready to go and you have held up the plane? If you have you know what i mean when i said that i had to get back on a bus loaded with people glaring at me!! Oops.

Anyhow drama over – my first border crossing and goodbye Canada and hello USA. Nothing appeared drastically different well except now there were stars and stripes flying everywhere.

A few sum ups on Canada before i completley leave my first country. I have absolutely loved the last 7 weeks. Canada is an awesome country with great people, fantastic scenery and great transport infrastructure. Some highs and some lows – although 99% highs i think.

Highlights. The people of Halifax – the friendliest city i have come across. The colours of autumn in Nova Scotia were beautiful and i definately picked the right time of year to go there. Niagara Falls – the wonderful staff at the HI Niagara and the people i met at the hostel – you guys made my week here the best time in Canada. The HI Niagara the best hostel i have stayed in without a doubt. Banff – for the scenery sharpened more by wintery ice and snow. This place was the wow factor of the trip. The 2 day train ride from Toronto to Edmonton was a great experience and Via Rail were fantastic on each trip i took no faults whatsoever with service and staff.

Lows. I dont think i have any serious lows – i was disappointed in Vancouver but that was due to a number of things and not the city as a whole because it has some great points for sure.

So goodbye Canada – thank you for your wonderful hospitality – in the words of Arnie – ‘I will be back’ For Sure!!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *