BootsnAll Travel Network



Eagle Square In Langkawi

We caught a quick morning flight from KL to Langkawi, an archipelago of sandy tropical islands off the north-west coast of the Malaysian peninsula. We were instantly greeted with a blast of gorgeous sunshine as soon as we disembarked the plane. We’d made do without sunscreen thus far, but we were definitely going to need it today.

We decided to rent a car to make the most of our limited time on the island, but hit a snag when this happened:

One replacement key later, we were set to check into our beach-side resort, then head out to explore.

We wanted to visit the giant eagle statue built in honour of the region’s namesake – lang being the Malay word for eagle. Navigating the modern city of KL had been fun, but driving along the picturesque beaches and through the rolling hills of Langkawi made for a pleasant and relaxing change of gears. Additionally, for whatever it’s worth, the pop music snob in me enjoyed the tunes on Langkawi FM (104.8 on your FM dial) more than anywhere else in Malaysia.

It took us some time to get to Eagle Square due to construction related detours (while the pace of life is slower in Langkawi, it’s still eagerly developing a hospitality industry to showcase itself), but we got a great view of Langkawi’s waters and hillside at the foot of the giant eagle. After enjoying the brisk sea breeze rolling onto the pier and taking the requisite goofy photos of us aping the eagle’s wingspan, we had to journey onward to check out Langkawi’s big draw: its beaches.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply