BootsnAll Travel Network



Lao Lao…

Two beers, two movies and a dream. That’s how I spent yesterday in the lovely town of Luang Prabang. Its growing on me and I can only attribute my first not so great impressions to the long journey that brought me here. Dah! what was I thinking.

P7030602.JPG

P7030580.JPG

The locals and “my companions” both are charming and what can I say except…I “f******” love it here. My language skills have undergone a dramatic change while in the company of Brigette and Dave from Ireland. I did not know till now that the F word could be used as an adjective, a noun, a pronoun, a prefix, a suffix ..but Dave just has an uncanny way of using the word and you know exactly what he means by the tone, manner and use of this word. Am impressed…never knew that a word could be used as adjective, noun, pronoun, suffix, prefizx and pretty much in every gramatical way possible.


Sitting around Dave over beer is a experience in itself. No sentence was devoid of the “F” word. I silently sat for a few minutes just amazed at how the man used that word. Best was when the “ladyboy” waiter/ess brought us all complimentary Lao Lao’s.Coloured firewater! Local whiskey said to be flavoured with different kinds of orchids. The latter claim I don’t think is right as if that was the case a shot would not cost just 5000kip..about $.50. Its a once in a lifetime experience.The mexican tequila comes a far second. More Lao Lao…no thanks. I want to live and not die gasping for breath.

Nothing much is really happening here…The plan is to head to Nhong Khiaw tomorrow morning.
Laos.jpg

More Later



Tags:

5 responses to “Lao Lao…”

  1. Angeline says:

    Hi Madhu,

    Just wanted to say how much i enjoy reading your blog. I am doing a similar trip starting in January’ 05 so your first-hand travel stories have been so great!! i loved your pickling blog, made me remember my childhood in singapore as well : )

    Its unfortunate that the Bootsnall SF crew didn’t meet before you left… maybe another time.

    Happy Travels!!! Laos sounds like an amazing place.

    angeline

  2. Sekhar says:

    Hi Madhu,
    This is getting to be a very interesting read. As I read of-course, I keep going back down memory lane to my own travels in that part of the world…only I usually had anything betwen 15 – 40 people hanging around day and night!

  3. Sekhar says:

    Oh, btw, the f-word has been quite a dynamic word for a very long time, atleast as far I can remember.

    It has also reached newer fame recently, when Mr.Cheney used it on a Democrat senator recently AND justified it too! Hence it has reached newer (higher) levels of social acceptability one would presume.

  4. Claudia says:

    Laolao rocks!!!! Great stuff. You get a liter for 70-80 cents, and they give it to you in a plastic bag. It’s funny to watch the men sit around and drink it and then quietly disappear to the side to puke it up.

  5. Claudia says:

    Oh yeah, how’d you do that map thing?