BootsnAll Travel Network



Hammocking….

Well, I was wrong. I had one more journey on the infamous Cambodian roads before I landed anywhere close to the Thai border. I had learned from my past few experiences to add couple of hours to the official time that any of the agents gives you..but I have to say the journey from the beaches in Cambodia to the Thai border was more than 9 hours. The only good thing about the trip was the fact that the driver dogged between all the craters (can’t call them pot holes) without getting stuck in the mousy mud even once. Can’t imagine all the sissy complainers trying to give a hand if that had happened.

I have to say I was in good spirits considering the time we spend on the bus. Not a wink of sleep and of course got introduced to a few more muscle groups that I had absolutely no idea I had. Crossing the border was easy as well. Duty-free shopping the Cambodian kind awaited us. You could find a carton of Marlboro’s for $6..cheap eh!


Crossing into we had our bags searched for nearly 10 mins. How stupid does one has to be to smuggle anything into this country where even the slightest amount can get you a death sentence. I had just read a book couple of days before about this English teacher who made a stupid judgement call and got a 25 year sentence for possession of about 80grams of coke ..I think. This was way back in the early 90’s. Anyway, after spending 4 years in the Bangkok Hilton, she was transferred to the English jails and then 3 or 4 years later the Thai king pardoned her. Lucky!

So anyway, after staying an night over in Trat, I made my way down to the Islands of Ko Chang. I met some really nice folks on the way and in the guest there that made the Island experience worth the salt. I was so tired from the travelling in Cambodia that this was a perfect recipe to get over all the weariness. Ko chung is a tourist paradise..you get everything. Saab Kuch millega!. I met a few backpackers who used this phrase whenever they chatted with me. I guess in India that is what they heard..just like in Thailand..its..”Same Same But Different”

The days were quite and hot. Couldn’t believe my luck. The torrential rains, which had prevented me from taking a step in the beaches in Cambodia, were on their way out to Taiwan. We had 8 days of sun and lying in the sand there you can really appreciate the blue skies especially during the monsoon season. My bungalow was nestled right underneath an old wise Banyan tree and the porch was right on the water. During hide tide the bungalow would shake a bit and it felt as if I was rocking gently right with the motion of the tides. I felt so close to the elements, never have I rocked my self to sleep to the sounds of the waves. I miss that. The sea can talk. I think if the “Treehouse” is still in operation in the future then I think I will revisit the area again.

Is there a word such as “Hammocking”, if not then I think we need to invent one. I for one could not stay out in the sun. Quite a few asked me if I was from Sri Lanka…wow..I must have really tanned. They have been no mirrors ( not good ones) to see what I exactly look life. Not that I care anymore about the tan…but I have a feeling that India I will get a few comments and some “whitening creams”. So to avoid Surya, the sun god I hammocked.

Feet up feet-up.jpg

Sunsets sunsets1.jpg

Few more days in the crazy city of Bangkok and I should be on my way to India. I have never been more apprehensive about landing in Bombay. Not sure why? I managed to stay alive in Bangkok but I think Bombay is going to be a whole another enchilada..all this anxiety for one night! Keeping my fingers crossed, as I don’t want to land in Bombay while its raining..Oh Buddha its horrible.

More later once the princess has received her red carpet treatment (I might be pushing it this time..as I will staying more than 2 weeks)

Cherios…



Tags:

Comments are closed.