BootsnAll Travel Network



Siam Reap to Sihanoukville – Spider and a side of fries please

“Sir, you buy?” a woman asked with a plate of food balanced on her head.

An audible “Eeek!” escaped my lips. I don’t recall ever making this noise when confronted by a women selling food, except perhaps in McDonalds. But this was no ordinary snack.

We were on route to Sihanoukville. Originally Ruth and I were to leave Siam Reap and head to Vietnam. Sihanoukville, a beach in Cambodia was on route and the others in our group were to spend two days there. It was not i our itinerary, but we oth wanted some beach time and there seemed little point leaving the group when they were heading in exactly our directin for the ext month. So, as the best travellers do, we changed our minds at the last minute. flexibility.

It was to be a whole day travelling. First we needed to backtrack to Phom Penh. The bus was packed but comfortable. Our lunchtime break was at a small roadside cafe in the middle of nowhere. As the bus stopped the usual hordes of women with plates of food balanced on their heads flocked around the bus waiting us all to diembark. Some of the plates caught my eye – the women weren’t selling bread or fruit. What was it? I couldn’t identify the black mass. Or perhaps i didn’t want to.

I peered closer. Legs? Spindly, but chunky legs. Lots of them. But what of?

….for the rest of this post, please go HERE.



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *