BootsnAll Travel Network



Route 13 – M25 it ain’t

Route 13. Sounds ominous doesn’t it?

Unfortunately it lives up to its name. This thoroughfare in Northern Laos witnessed violent and bloody ambushes of coaches and cars by armed bandits in 1997 and 2003, claiming 17 lives including a French tour operator and two European travellers. (Please note – I isolate these cases only to clarify that locals were not the sole targets and that there was good reason my face displayed a permanent grimace for six long hours).

As we departed Vang Vieng it was reasuring to learn there had been no attacks since. All public buses however are still posted with armed guards wielding AK47’s.

Our minibus was demonstrably lacking in such security; all we posessed was a driver who saw no urgency in speeding to our next destination and my pocket knife – one of my leaving presents from my Kccc chums. My heart-rate, low since i entered Laos, was now galloping at a rate similar to the time i popped too many Pro Plus to finish my undergrad thesis (which remains unfinished to this day)

The rest can be found at the following page – Route 13



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *