BootsnAll Travel Network



Luang Prubang – What? More Wats?

Wats are peppered liberally throughout Luang Prubang. Down every alley, side street, hidden behind small walls and gardens of frangipan and palm lie small, rustic temples. The wats house a large number of monks who are heavily present thoughout town – hence hence the ubiquitous flashes of orange robes as you walk the streets.

On our first day in town Ruth and I hired bikes to explore the town. Luang Prabang is small and pleasant enough to tackle on two wheels – we had to dodge only a few kamikaze taxis.

Wat Xieng Thang is the towns most magnificent, and the country’s most important, temple. Until 1975 and the (polite) communist revolution Wat Xieng Thong was a royal temple under royal patronage; an important site of political and religious ritual where the kings of Laos were crowned.

We arrived to find no crowds and little to distract our attention from the ambience and architecture. A few monks sat by the bank of the river uninterested in us – the only tourists present.
So we strolled aimlessly around the site, a cluster of small buildings set around a square of trees set at the confluence of the Mekong and Nam Khan rivers.

Wat Xieng Thong is the Alpha and Omega of Lao religious architecture. Despite this the temple is small and slightly worn, lacking the gawdy, glittering excesses of larger Thai Wats as would seem to be a feature of most Laos temples.

For the rest of this post please go here.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *