BootsnAll Travel Network



St Petersburg

The train journey from Moscow to St P was sooo different.

We have become accustomed to travelling in ‘open sleepers’ where the kids can chase up and down corridors, we can spread ourselves on the bunks for a game of cards, and where the passing passengers stop and peer in to our cabins to see what we are doing, eating or reading. But not on this elegant and very  expensive train – travelling from Moscow to St Petersburg! Travel now is much more onerous. Decorum abounds. We are all are seated quietly in our plush recliner seats. But no hot water boiler at the end of the corridor for making a cuppa, No free packets of tea/coffee/ no privacy to make a meal no all gawking together out of windows.  More like a doctors waiting room. ‘Respectable’ it was and jolly uncomfortable to boot.

We arrived 11 pm. St.P was still buzzing. The City was bustling – and very cold! Judicious use of notes , the GPS and enquiries gets us to a bus stop. We sort out fares with conductor (always a mission with 11 of us and all different ages!) and tget off at the GPS-dictated stop We soon found our hostel and wearily trudged up  3 flights of broken stairs to our dorm

Next morning a quick trip to the local ‘supermarket’ for b’fast supplies revealed a taste of the elegance this city possesses. Grand old buildings, no broken paving, everything clean and tidy – and a tangibley relaxed and cultured atmosphere. So different from Moscow.

The transition is almost complete : East says goodbye to West

So started a long day. Lots of walking and quite a bit of Underground training.

We took in a castle and a few cathedrals etc.

   

decide just as easy to walk back –past Hermitage Angel eetc

             

finally arrived back after 8-10 k walk. A good day!

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply