BootsnAll Travel Network



Oberammergau –the painted village

what a treat this place is!

We have seen plenty of historic buildings since we have been in Europe. People living in houses that were constructed long before New Zealand was even discovered (by Europeans, that is) We have almost become blasé about ancient dwellings. But Oberammergau is a real gem: almost impossibly pretty, so much so that you suspect that you have walked into a ‘working model’. And yet this is very much a business-as-usual township. That Tourism is the business is obvious, but to have the whole town engaged in the vision is really extraordinary. Even the most humble of dwellings, away from the main thoroughfares, is kept neat and tidy, and is a pleasure to behold.

But the main streets are a real picture. Literally, many of the houses sport decorative murals or motifs that make each one worthy of a thorough inspection. Religious themes:

folk-tale stories:

or simple decoration for the sake of it – all are here in abundance.

And of course the semi-Alpine nature of the architecture gives each building a charm of its own.  Then the whole town nestles in the valley between craggy Alpine outcrops – a jagged skyline softened by green swards of pasture lying like green blankets on the hillsides.

 

They say this place comes alive at the once-a-decade Easter Passion celebration, but frankly I would not want to see it any busier than it has been today. The cobbled sidewalks are awash with tables and chairs filled with folk enjoying a beverage and a tasty tid-bit. Cycle-tourists, cars and pedestrians mingle fairly seamlessly in this buzzing township and give the place a lively atmosphere. A real treat to have been here.

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply