BootsnAll Travel Network



Travels with Tom

Hi ALL,
 
Just a note to all those who were planning to visit me in China. Hold the Phone!!  Just accepted a job at Limkokwing University, College of Creative Technology in Cyberjaya, Malaysia. Cyberjaya (don’t you just love that name!) is a small town about 25 miles south of Kuala Lumpur. I’ll be working for International House, an English language school with branches all over the world. Hopefully, if I do a good job, I’ll be able to work for other International House branches. I’ll also be working with Joe and Marlene Foley, two friends whom I worked with in Prague. Ain’t it a small world!
 
I had a job in Tienjien, China (two hours east of Beijing) but didn’t like what I had read about the town. A big sea port but upriver from the sea with no historical or cultural interest. The lady I talked with said I would be living on the 6th floor of a building with no elevator. And each time I talked with her, she seemed a little strange. We were never on the same wavelength. So I never really wanted that job and was happy to find something else.
 
Ironically, I accepted the job in Cyberjaya (love saying that)yesterday and today I got an offer from another school in China that I would have been happy to accept. Maybe next year.   
 
Currently enjoying Luang Prabang, Laos immensely. Quiet, almost sleepy small town during the day. Very hot. Went to a waterfall and swam. Going tubing on the river tomorrow. Leave for Siem Reap, Cambodia Monday. Then will go to Singapore or the Philippines, get a Chinese visa, and go to Beijing, the Fobidden City, the Great Wall, and maybe try to get into Mongolia. All this before starting work July 2. Have a three month contract but they felt certain they could use mean extra month, until November when Harrison and David come out and we go to Australia and New Zealand. Home for Christmas.
 
Will put all my adventures into a letter when I have time.
 
Love to all,
 
PaPa, Dad, Tom

 
This will be relatively brief but wanted to bring you up to date. When time and a computer permit will give you more details.  
 
Left Hanoi on May 23 and went to Luang Prabang, Laos where I spent five peaceful days relaxing. Great after the hustle and bustle and noise of Hanoi. There is littler to do there and I did little of it. Went to a great waterfall and swam. Visited lots of temples. Had a massage.
 
Flew to Siem Reap, Cambodia. It’s the closest town to Angkor Wat. Angkor Wat is a huge Hindu Temple, reputed to be the largest religious structure in the world. Angkor was the capital city of the ancient Khmer Empire. Angkor Wat is the largest temple and it is magnificent. Well worth the trip. But I spent four days visiting other temples in the area and there are many. Angkor Wat was not my favorite as I weill explain in a later epistle. Tokk a day to recover.
 
Next on the list was Hong Kong, the New York City of China.It was handed ofver to the Chinese in 1997 by the British and as a Special Administrative Region is somewhat autonomous. One country, two systems. But there seem to be problems as to exactly what is determined by Hong Kong and what is decided in Beijing. Lots of tall building, corporate offices, business men in suits. Kowloon, across Victoria Harbor but still in the Region, is Brokklyn, the working man’s domain and a Hong Kong wannabe. Went to Ned Kelly’s Last Stand, a pub/restaurant where there is a great little jazz band. Ned wasn’t there. He was shot in Australia in 1880.
 
Took a one day ferry trip to Macau, another SRA. Didn’t need a visa for either of the SRA’s but had to get a visa to go to Beijing. It’s all China. Go figure. Macau was colonized by the Portuguese so signs are in Chinese, Portuguese and English. Macau (thought we spelled it Macao) has kept it’s old world charm with winding cobblestone streets, mosaic pictures in the sidewalk, and old buildings. Bought local favorites: almond cookies and some sort of pork jerky that was sweet and delicious. Couls have eaten tons of it.
 
Flew to Beijing. No problem entering the country. Actually, maybe the fastest I’ve ever been through immigrations. Caught a bus into the city and then a cab to the hotel. Went to the Forbidden City yesterday.  They refer to it as the Palace Museum. It’s enormous, complex, and requires a map in order to find your way around.  Spent most of the day there and just walked around. Didn’t linger long over anything and didn’t see it all. Unfortunately, some of the major buildings are being renovated and was not able to get the best of pictures. Tiennamen Square is directly across the street and it is gigantic as well. Probably could hold several million people at once. Beyond the Square is Mao’s Mausoleun (I think). Lots of work going on. Street improvements, etc. in preparation for next year’s Olympics.
 
Great Wall tomorrow. Haven’t decided what to do after that. Someplace else in China. Have to be back in Hanoi on the 24th and Malaysia on the 28th.
 
Having a wonderful time.
 
Love to all,
 
Tom   
  

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply