BootsnAll Travel Network



The American Outpost

 In our last few weeks of traveling through Dubai, Egypt, and Turkey, we’ve heard very little English except on CNN or BBC.  Occasionally we’ve met some Brits, but no Americans… until we got to Kas (it’s actually spelled with a “special” S character that I don’t have on my keyboard and pronounced like kosh).  We were a little early for the normal tourist season here, but the few people in the hotels, boats, and restaurants all seemed to be American.  We met quite a few nice people here and it was refreshing to hear those Yankee accents again.  I’m curious as to why we were all drawn here, but always glad when I see Americans getting out there and traveling.

Kas has a lot more to offer than just a being a “little US” on the Mediterranean. We heard that there was an ancient amphitheater from the 1st century BC (“restored” in the 2nd century AD), and it turned out to be just behind our hotel.  It’s almost completely intact and could seat about 3000 people.  The amphitheater isn’t the only interesting historical site here though.  The are tombs from the Lycian period everywhere – even in the middle of town.  We also took a boat ride to Kekova where there are sunken ruins on the shoreline and underwater where the city collapsed during an earthquake.  There are quite a few other significant places around the area from these and Roman periods which combined with the beautiful Turquoise Coast make this one of my top “must return” spots.

Tags: , ,



One Response to “The American Outpost”

  1. Jin Says:

    Wow, the waters off Kas look crystal clear. Beautiful place.

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply