BootsnAll Travel Network



Spicy

Food is a big deal in Thailand. From the farms to the markets to roadside restaurants, you’re never very far from some aspect of your next meal. We’ve slowly gotten more adventurous in our meal choices each day and every time we try something new, it seems to get better.

Given our new found admiration for Thai food, we just had to take a cooking class while were here. After selecting a few dishes to make, the teacher took us to the market to show us what the ingredients look like and how to select them. The rest of the day was spent cooking a range of dishes from Pad Thai, stir fried chicken, spring rolls, papaya salad and sticky rice to making our own curry paste. It was a lot of fun, but the best part was getting to eat all of the dishes. I can’t wait to get to a place where we have a kitchen to try them on my own. However, I’ll probably cut the number of chilies in half next time. I like hot food more than most people, but these peppers were too much for me.

Later that night we attended a Muay Thai boxing match. It’s a bit hard to describe, and much better to see in person, but it was part boxing and part WWF, with a few rules thrown in. The surrounding venue is packed with a mix of bars that cater to all sorts of tastes (I’ll leave it at that). Anyway, add in a few Chang beers, and it’s a fun time.

Next stop: South

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply