BootsnAll Travel Network



Shopkeeper’s Philosphy

We’ve spent the rest of the week in Istanbul taking in a few more sights and doing some research and planning for the next part of the trip. We visited the Grand Bazaar, the Egyptian/Spice Bazaar, and the Topkapi Palace. While the palace is beautiful, the treasury within it holds incredible examples of huge jewels and religious relics, one of which is supposedly the Staff of Moses. Is it real? What do you believe? In any case, it was good to be the Sultan.

While I still haven’t learned to sleep through the Muezzin’s call in the morning yet, I am starting to really like the food here. The kebaps, the pide bread, and pastries are so good. Surprisingly there is also a growing wine industry here. Although many restaurants don’t serve alcohol, you can find wine in some shops. Unfortunately we don’t know much about the types of grapes or regions here, so choosing one has been a game of chance. When Eric puzzled over why a very small bottle was more expensive than a much larger one, the clerk gave us some advice to live by, “Good money, good drink.”

A view of the palace:

blog-topkapi.JPG

Tags: , ,



2 Responses to “Shopkeeper’s Philosphy”

  1. Avun Says:

    hmmm..i wonder the same thing about the box wines.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Chad Says:

    “Good money, good drink.” … that’s the oldest trick in the book. I’ve got a very expensive bridge for sale if you’d like. 🙂

Leave a Reply