BootsnAll Travel Network



It’s a Whole New Ballgame

It seems like every time I post a new blog I’m apologizing for not writing in a long time.  Since we’ve been back from traveling, it seems like “regular life” just takes up so much time.  I think that for this post I really do have a good excuse for not writing in a while.

A lot has happened in the last 2 months.  Eric got a job offer in Austin and we starting packing our things, imagining what life would be like in Texas.  While we were in the midst of planning for that move, he received a second job offer.  As the old saying goes, when it rains… The second offer was for a position in Austria and it completely took us by surprise.  Many times during our travel, we had late night discussions over bottles of wine about how we’d like to live “somewhere else” for a while.  Now the prospect of being an expat is real and there was no way we could turn it down.  Congrats to Eric for supplying us with this great opportunity to work, live, and especially travel in Europe.

So within two weeks our plans completely changed direction.  Packing for AUStin became packing for AUStria. (needless to say some of our friends were very confused… “ You mean Europe??”  “I thought you said Texas!”)  We sold our car and some of our furniture, put our house up for rent, and started to close up our accounts and withdraw from our California lives.  It has been a very emotional month with the excitement of a new adventure tempered slightly by a realization that we are leaving behind a very safe, comfortable life for the unknown.

Granted, Austria is a first world western country, so I don’t exactly expect a hardship.  However, the weather, the language, and the lifestyle will all be different.  With that in mind, I’m planning to start up the blog again to focus on our experience of living abroad.

More coming soon….next post from Austria!

Just when we finally go the house back in shape – the new paint , fireplace, TV, and bamboo floor will be enjoyed by someone else.  Our empty house after moving day:

Tags: ,



One Response to “It’s a Whole New Ballgame”

  1. J K Dugan-Brause Says:

    Just to quickly say welcome to Europe! and send us your new address and pics once you’ve settled.

    Happy christmas from London.

    J & G

Leave a Reply