BootsnAll Travel Network



Heaps Of Sheeps

We spent a few days in the Bay of Islands, a coastal area north of Auckland. We went sailing in high winds and rain (more fun than it sounds, actually) and then finally decided to return to Auckland for a few days to get ready for the next part of the trip. We have plenty of errands to do before we leave NZ – haircuts, filing taxes (reminder: April 15th is not very far away!), replacing a things that have been used up, worn out, or read.

So, I don’t have much exciting travel news to post here. However, I thought I would take a few lines to mention the most populous group of New Zealanders, the sheep. They are everywhere and there are millions of them. Over 40 million according to the last count. There are only 4 million people here, so we are seriously outnumbered. A travel writer called Tony Horowitz once described part of the landscape here as “mutton.” He couldn’t have been more accurate.

After you drive around here for a while, you stop noticing them, but these guys caught our attention again. We never found out whether this was something special for Easter or just a farm having a little fun. Sorry for the picture quality, but we were in a road construction zone and couldn’t pull over.

blog-sheep.JPG

Tags: , ,



One Response to “Heaps Of Sheeps”

  1. Suzanne Says:

    This is where pink sweaters come from, or course!

Leave a Reply