BootsnAll Travel Network



Fasching = Lei Lei!

I think most of you have heard of Mardi Gras and Carnival, but Fasching is the German/Austrian equivalent.  It’s basically a big party before lent begins that involves costumes, donuts, and beer, all in large quantities.

One of the largest Fasching celebrations here in Austria happened on Saturday right outside my apartment.  The day started with a huge parade and ended with an enormous dance party outside on the main square.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, gets dressed up in costumes.  It’s a little like Halloween, except the adults participate.   While there were a lot of clowns, bees, and traditional outfits, some people were very creative (see below).

The whole town was decked out in streamers and balloons, and there were beer and food stands on every corner.  Everyone walked around in costume shouting “Lei Lei” to each other.  I still have no idea what that means, but it seemed rude not to yell back.

The finale of the day was the party.  Since it was just outside my window, we decided it was better to join in than try to sleep/think/do anything through the noise – “Euro thump thump music” as my friend calls it.  It was amazing to see so many happy drunk people dancing away.  I don’t think you would ever be able to have this type of event in the US – too much liability with the alcohol or too many chances that a fight would break out.  It’s a shame too, because the party-goers were all very good-natured, mixing with us and with each other, talking and dancing with anyone.  Although I think the costumes and masks made people a little more outgoing than usual.

It was great time and here a few pics that don’t do it justice.

One of my favorites from the parade – Legos!

Here’s a view of the party in the afternoon and and another still going strong at night:

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply