BootsnAll Travel Network



Chilling in Auckland

We’ve been gone from India for nearly a week now, but I find that it’s still on my mind. We planned some down time in Auckland to recharge and I think it was the right idea. We rented an apartment and I’m surprised at how much I’m enjoying grocery shopping and cooking our own food again.

I’ve been trying to work up the energy to do a long blog with my impressions and opinions about India, but it’s proving harder to write than I expected. Everything I could say seems contradictory (how do you begin to understand the beauty against the backdrop of extreme poverty? ), trite (monkeys and cows walking down the street or the constant barrage of touts, hawkers and beggars), or just not something I think most people would want to read about (men there pee anywhere and everywhere, but where do the women go?). I still want to put down all my thoughts, but since we’re starting our adventure in New Zealand, it may have to take a back seat.

However, I would like to take the time to note that my clothes are much happier here. For all the floggings (aka “laundry”) that they received in India, they still seemed to come back with fingerprints and smudges. Here at least the beatings have stopped and my shirts’ appearance seems to be responding to the fancy eco frontloader washing machine in our apartment.

We’re getting ready to leave that behind and hit the road. We’ve reserved a campervan starting later in the week and are plotting out a rough route around the islands. Today, we did a little sightseeing right here in Auckland. We took a ferry to Waiheke Island and spent the day tasting a few of the local wines. A good way to start our Kiwi adventure!

blog-grapes.JPG

Tags: , ,



One Response to “Chilling in Auckland”

  1. Avun Says:

    Are campervans like the left side of the road version of RV’s?

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply