BootsnAll Travel Network



Welcome to The Friends Project – Wanderlust and good deeds on the road.

Nueva Esperanza kids
The Friends Project was created in spring 2006 by me, Kris Dreessen. I have been traveling for about 20 years now, usually solo and on a shoestring budget, and living abroad. I have always gotten so much from traveling and living in other cultures. Inspired by Backpack Nation and the 100 Friends Project, I started my own project as a way to give back.

The Friends Project is a simple name for a simple idea: When I travel, my friends and I collect money. When I go, I find new homes for the donations where it can really make a difference.

In America, 50 bucks means dinner for two. In other places it can mean a food cart to start a business or treatment of malaria.

As a journalist and photographer, I believe I can share my experiences and promote understanding. I may travel alone, but I can bring others along on the journey through my work.

I spent three weeks in the Peruvian Amazon last April. I took $460 with me. It doesn’t seem so much, but with it we were able to: outfit 48 kids in the Belen area of Iquitos with school supplies, provide medical and other care for a baby howler monkey whose mother was killed and provide for installation of screens on all the houses in a remote community on the Yavari River that has serious malaria problems.

The idea is to spread the word, share some tales of the road, and expand this “friends” group. Maybe others will create their own projects.

This blog is a place where The Friends Project can “live.” I’ll be updating it first with where the first round of donations went, and then with tales from the road and photos and interesting links, so visit often. Feel free to comment and talk with each other. Soon, you can visit my journalism Web site (see link for Lens and Pens at right) to see more photos and stories about the places I travel, and where we’ve donated money, that aren’t directly related to The Friends Project.

-Kris

Cappuchin



Tags: , , , ,

8 responses to “Welcome to The Friends Project – Wanderlust and good deeds on the road.”

  1. Vanessa says:

    Hey Kris,
    I just felt the need to say that you are an amazing, wonderful and generous person for all that you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. Kimmie says:

    Kris
    You are such an inspiration! The world could sure use more people like you in it.

  3. asker says:

    Thank you for your help!

  4. Twanda Kedzierski

    I found a great…

  5. Melvin Inostraza

    I found a great…

  6. Willow Yarrito

    I found a great…

  7. Rashad Tapaha

    I found a great…

  8. Floyd Gehrke

    I found a great…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *