BootsnAll Travel Network



Viva Lima!

img_0780_2.JPGHola Todos! (Hello to All!)

Paula and I spent yesterday 7-10 wandering the streets of Lima. I´ve never had so many people try to sell something or offer in certain parts of town. My Spanish is suprising me, I´didn´t know I´d remembered so much, and I was glad I reviewed things before leaving home. 

We visited one of the big cathedrals that is popular and old. Catedral de San Francisco….ha, I´m not as far from home as I thought! Anyway, it was very interesting, even though the whole thing was not origional due to earthquakes in teh past, the hisory was interesting. Amazing painting of the last supper done in the 1600s that actually involved children and some other elements that isn´t characteristic. Anyhow, it was interesting. And there were piles of bones in this catacombs area downstairs , there had been up to 4,000 people buried in the catacombs , the basement of the parish so to speak. So, in renovating it, they had sorted all the bones in order of the body in order to count the number of folks buried there. I know there are other things that I can´t recall right now, as I´m under the gun to get back upstairs to prepare to go to Cusco this morning. (it is 6¨45 as I type.

Traveling by taxi today I am thankful for environmental rules in the US. Glad for clean air and carbon emissions standards. Waiting to cross the busy bus and car lined streets in Lima, we inhaled plenty of exhaust! Mom, this wouldn´t be a good place to live long term for your lungs! Aye! As we rode in the taxi there are also mesages in the grass along the freeway, either carved out by a mower, or colred in the grass as advertisemenets! Interesting! Saves on billboards! Cool! But, largely, Lima seems like just another big city to me, with a big mountain in part with houses crowding it and a big crucifix on top that is lit up at night. I will gladly welcome the more natural sites in Cusco!  

Well, another interesting thing is this keyboard is set up differently than ones at home- different keys in places I´m used to… so it takes longer to type!)

Paula hadn´t gotten her luggage, thankfully it finally came at eleven last night! So, we´will have a better trip now!

 I had better go! More later!

Amy 🙂



Tags:

Leave a Reply