BootsnAll Travel Network



Leavin’ Luxury . . . Lake Titicaca

Ola! After an uneventful overnight bus ride and an easy border crossing, (from Cusco, Peru to Copacabana, Bolivia), Fred and I scurried up the hill (as fast as we could carrying all our gear at 3,856 m above sea level) to the highly recommended, “La Cupola” hostal. We lucked out (having not reserved) in getting the last room – a fantastic 2-story suite for $36. Floor to ceiling windows with a spectacular view over Lake Titicaca – a perfect setting to enjoy our $4 bottle of wine at night and our Folgers coffee in the morning (Fred packed his own ground coffee from home and filters). The suite included a kitchen, bathroom with hot shower and stone-tile bathtub, a double bed downstairs which was comfortable to read on, and a kingsize bed upstairs. The hostal also had the most sought-after restaurant, where we could dine for $14 a night (for 2, including a glass of wine).

Apart from our fabulous room, we had a terrific horseback ride for 3 hours over the rolling hills and back down to the lake. Here, we got off Apache and Hercules and hopped in a row boat where we were rowed over by a local bolivian to a “floating island”. The floating islands, made out of reeds from the lake, are home to many birds/ducks – not humans anymore, and are maintained most likely for tourism. It was interesting to see all the salmon trout nets set up though, and we even managed to rescue a young bird that was caught in the net.

We then rowed back to the horses and returned back to Copacabana, through small Bolivian villages where we were able to get great views into their rural living. We were happy to dismount as there saddles are rockhard. I was able to video Fred riding – will plan on uploading it later.

Another day was spent taking the boat 2 hours to Isla del Sol where we hiked over to some ruins (birthplace of the sun) and saw a stone table where they possibly made human and animal sacrifices to the sun. Then, it was a 1.5 hour boat ride back from the South part of the Island.

So far, Bolivia appears to be a very inexpensive country. For the past 3 days, we have spent $100, which includes all our food, wine, horseback riding trip, and boat trip to Isla del Sol. Fred has enjoyed eating possibly his best fish ever – fresh, salmon trout from the vendors at beach (fish, salad, fries and a big beer – all for only $4!). I have enjoyed two great plates of spaghetti alla carbonnara ($4), pancakes with banana, chocolate and cream for breakfasts, and a bar b q chicken dinner.

Now, we are off to La Paz (3 hours), the highest capital city in the world at over 3,500 m. About $9 for the two of us. Apparently, today there is a protest happening in La Paz (which we have heard includes dynamite in Bolivia). Hopefully, things will have calmed down by the time we get there. The hostal here recommended Hostal Republica, so we have already booked for two nights ($30 with private bath, wi-fi, etc).

Gotta go, buenos dias,

Lisa n Fred



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *